Is the electric field stronger in resistors with higher resistance?

In summary: I make the resistor longer then I can have more voltage and current going through it without exceeding the 100 volts limit.In summary, the electric field is stronger in places with higher resistivity.
Ok I see , you can increase the PD across a cap until the charge build up per given plate area is so huge that the caps safety margin is crossed and breakdown through the dielectric may and with time happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Bomzh said:
Ok I see , you can increase the PD across a cap until the charge build up per given plate area is so huge that the caps safety margin is crossed and breakdown through the dielectric may and with time happens.

The cause and effect are the other way round, I would say. As the capacitor is charged, the PD increases. It's the work done on the charges that equals the PD.

Not all that dramatic. haha There are capacitors with only 12V operating voltage. The higher the capacity, the closer the plates - so the lower the operating voltage (for a given form of construction). Think of charging a capacitor through a resistor.

It's a long time since I was involved in detailed circuitry but the secret is always in spotting the important components and ignoring the 'supporting parts'. Once you eliminate the decoupling Cs and the biasing Rs, the circuit becomes more understandable. Of course, you have to be careful because some components perform more than one function.

Aren't we 'done' with this now?

you wish we would be don't you ? :D

Well we are kinda done in terms of that I do understand caps a lot better now and the theory also, so even with all the fed up and repeating stuff that was going on here we managed to make a increase in knowledge here:)
But it's not the end of the line , I will probably have some threads sooner or later about my crazy ideas.Although knowledge base helps in whenever you hava an idea so that you can check it for faults and inconsistencies.
Anyway thanks.