Understanding Stress Tensor in MTW Ex. 5.4

In summary: Thanks for the explanation. I was a little confused by the equation 5.51, and it's good to have that clarified.
TerryW
Gold Member
I've been working on Ex 5.4 in MTW. The maths is fairly straight forward, but I don't really understand what is going on!

In part (b) what are the 'forces' pushing the volume through a distance? If they are forces, they must produce an acceleration but we have a constant velocity. Are these forces producing the stress in the volume?

What would be an example of a 'stressed' medium as used in this example?

If mjk is 'inertial mass per unit volume' equation 5.51 will sum to produce the total momentum in the direction of v, not one of the components.

Can anyone shed any light?

Regards

TerryW

Attachments

• Stress.pdf
    327.3 KB · Views: 233
Physics news on Phys.org
TerryW said:
What would be an example of a 'stressed' medium as used in this example?
Anything where the spatial components of the stress tensor are nonzero. Could be a gas under pressure. Could be a squeezed rubber ball.

TerryW said:
In part (b) what are the 'forces' pushing the volume through a distance? If they are forces, they must produce an acceleration but we have a constant velocity. Are these forces producing the stress in the volume?
The forces, for example, could be the forces acting on this element of the medium by neighboring elements. Whether the velocity is constant depends on whether the forces are balanced.

TerryW said:
If mjk is 'inertial mass per unit volume' equation 5.51 will sum to produce the total momentum in the direction of v, not one of the components.
It will be the three spatial components of a vector, maybe not in the same direction as v.

Problem sorted

Thanks for your reply. Your comments on the statement

"If mjk is 'inertial mass per unit volume' equation 5.51 will sum to produce the total momentum in the direction of v, not one of the components."

didn't really help me, but I took another look at it and I re-wrote the expression for T01 in terms of the stress tensor in the volume's rest frame:

T01 = (T0'0' + T1'1')v1 + T1'2'v2 + T1'3'v3

and it then becomes much clearer.

For a unit volume, T01 is the x-component of momentum which is made up from

1. the contributions from the x-component of momentum arising from the rest mass moving at v1 + the x-component of flux of x-momentum x vx

2. the contribution from the y-component of the flux of x-momentum x vy and

3. the contribution from the z-component of the flux of x-momentum x vz

The rationale for the contributions 2 and 3 come from the equation preceding (5.16) on page 139.

Regards

TerryW

1. What is a stress tensor in MTW Ex. 5.4?

The stress tensor in MTW Ex. 5.4 is a mathematical representation of the distribution of forces within a material or system. It is a 3x3 matrix that relates the forces acting on a small volume element to the stresses within that element.

2. How is the stress tensor calculated in MTW Ex. 5.4?

The stress tensor is calculated by taking the derivatives of the force components with respect to each of the three coordinates in a Cartesian coordinate system. This can also be written as the matrix of second-order partial derivatives of the force components.

3. What does the stress tensor tell us in MTW Ex. 5.4?

The stress tensor tells us about the distribution and magnitude of forces within a material or system. It can help us understand how a material will respond to external forces and how it will deform under stress.

4. How is the stress tensor related to the strain tensor in MTW Ex. 5.4?

The stress tensor and the strain tensor are related through Hooke's law, which states that the stress in a material is proportional to the strain caused by that stress. This relationship is described by the modulus of elasticity, which is a material-specific constant.

5. Why is understanding the stress tensor important in MTW Ex. 5.4?

Understanding the stress tensor is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of materials and systems under different types of stress. It is also a fundamental concept in mechanics and is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and materials science.