Using thanks instead of closing thread

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary: But maybe I don't understand the problem because I have no idea who has thanked me or why they did that - I've never bothered to look at the...
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have noticed this a few times in threads I am involved in. What happens is that the OP clicks the thanks button with a message to the effect of "Thanks, I get it now" and leaves the thread dangling. An example is this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=757660

The OP is never going to return to the thread because of such a thanks message he sent me. I'm not sure what can be done about this behavior, but I think it is deleterious side effect of the thanks button.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
The OP is never going to return to the thread because of such a thanks message he sent me.

I've sent similar thanks messages and return frequently to those threads. I think you're exaggerating the issue.

Edit: Even if the thanks button is removed, I'm pretty sure people will just write a post with the same statement i.e "Thank you. I get it now" and never return to the thread.

interhacker said:
Edit: Even if the thanks button is removed, I'm pretty sure people will just write a post with the same statement i.e "Thank you. I get it now" and never return to the thread.
I think LCKurtz's point is that if that statement is written in the forums then everyone knows that the OP is good to solve the problem, so there is no need for him/her to come back to the thread. If s/he instead thanks via the 'thanks' button then only the person receiving the thanks would know that the thread is tied up (excuse the pun).

I don't think that this warrants the removal of the thanks button, and neither do I mean to suggest this is what LCKurtz implied.

CAF123 said:
I think LCKurtz's point is that if that statement is written in the forums then everyone knows that the OP is good to solve the problem, so there is no need for him/her to come back to the thread. If s/he instead thanks via the 'thanks' button then only the person receiving the thanks would know that the thread is tied up.

I see.

I'm sorry LCKurtz, I didn't understand earlier. You do have a valid point and I agree with you.

I think adding a [Solved] prefix would be helpful. Like those in this forum(Feedback and announcement)

adjacent said:
I think adding a [Solved] prefix would be helpful. Like those in this forum(Feedback and announcement)

It's problematic because the post edit time is usually too short and in general most people looking for homework don't care to manage the thread, they just want the help.

The simplest and easiest way to handle this is that, once you receive a Thanks by someone who said that the problem has been solve or answered, please PM that member and ask him/her to indicate this in the thread for the benefit of others in case someone thinks he/she still requires help.

It doesn't mean the member will do this, or will even come back and read the PM, but that is beyond our control. If this doesn't work, the person who received the thanks and acknowledgment can always post in the thread indicating that the OP had indicated that the question has been answered/solved.

Zz.

adjacent said:

I don't understand the problem here... If a thread is left dangling with the last entry something that was enough to satisfy the OP, What's the worst thing that can happen?

Someone else might come along and expand further on whatever was last said? That's not going to help OP if he/she never comes back to the thread again, but it still makes the thread more valuable for the next person who comes across it.

Nugatory said:
I don't understand the problem here... If a thread is left dangling with the last entry something that was enough to satisfy the OP, What's the worst thing that can happen?

Someone else might come along and expand further on whatever was last said? That's not going to help OP if he/she never comes back to the thread again, but it still makes the thread more valuable for the next person who comes across it.

Exactly. I also don't see what the problem is.

This problem would be solved if the Thanks button also creates a new post from the button-pusher that says "Thanks".

I don't understand the problem either, but for the proposed solution, what happens if the OP discovers he/she didn't understand after all? it could be embarrassing to have to admit that and add another question to the thread.

Or do we also need an "unthank" button that deletes the automatically generated post? :smile:

But maybe I don't understand the problem because I have no idea who has thanked me or why they did that - I've never bothered to look at the data.

Nugatory said:

I agree with that. I've benefited from several threads like that on PF.

I also don't see anything too bad about it.

Worst case scenario someone posts more thinking the OP didn't understand it yet which benefits someone in the future.

AlephZero said:
I have no idea who has thanked me or why they did that - I've never bothered to look at the data.

Perhaps your thanks button should be replaced with a more appropriate one? :approve:

1. Why is using "thanks" instead of closing a thread important?

Using "thanks" instead of closing a thread allows for ongoing discussion and collaboration on a topic without restricting or ending the conversation.

2. Can using "thanks" be considered a form of appreciation?

Yes, using "thanks" can be seen as a way to express gratitude and appreciation for someone's input or contribution to a discussion.

3. Is using "thanks" instead of closing a thread more inclusive?

Yes, using "thanks" instead of closing a thread allows for all participants to continue to be involved in the discussion, rather than ending it prematurely.

4. Are there any downsides to using "thanks" instead of closing a thread?

One potential downside is that the thread may become too long and difficult to navigate. However, this can be mitigated by clearly labeling and organizing different sections within the thread.

5. How does using "thanks" instead of closing a thread impact the overall scientific community?

By using "thanks" instead of closing a thread, the scientific community promotes open and ongoing communication and collaboration, which can lead to further advancements and discoveries in various fields of study.