Multiple variable prediction interval

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of prediction intervals for multiple variable regression. The formula for single variable prediction intervals is provided, and it is suggested that for multiple variable regression, the standard deviation would be replaced by a cross-covariance matrix and the square root by a vector. Further information is provided on how to calculate the mean value and particular value interval estimates for multiple variable regression.
Uniquebum
Hey!

I'm working with some regression related stuff at the moment and i'd need some help with multiple variable prediction interval. Prediction interval for a single variable can be calculated using

[tex] PI = \hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_i \pm t^* s_e \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n} + \frac{(x_i-mean(x))^2}{S_{xx}}}[/tex]

where x can be thought as a 1 dimensional vector (or matrix/set) which holds the values x_0, x_1, x_2 and so on. Also, [itex]\hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_i[/itex] is a linear regression line [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. Finally, [itex]t^*[/itex] is the t-percentile, [itex]s_e[/itex] is standard deviation, [itex]n[/itex] is the amount of points in the sample and [itex]S_{xx} = \sum{(x_i-mean(x))^2}[/itex] from 1 --> n.

Now what does the equation look like for multiple variable regression?

I'd suppose [itex]\hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_i[/itex] is easily changed to
[tex]\hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_{0i}+\hat{\beta_2}x_{1i}+\hat{\beta_3}x_{2i}+...[/tex]
but what do i do with
[tex]\frac{(x_i-mean(x))^2}{S_{xx}}[/tex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Uniquebum said:
Now what does the equation look like for multiple variable regression?

I'd suppose [itex]\hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_i[/itex] is easily changed to
[tex]\hat{\beta_0}+\hat{\beta_1}x_{0i}+\hat{\beta_2}x_{1i}+\hat{\beta_3}x_{2i}+...[/tex]
but what do i do with
[tex]\frac{(x_i-mean(x))^2}{S_{xx}}[/tex]
?
Off the top of my head, I would say that [itex]s_e[/itex] would be replaced by a cross-covariance matrix of the [itex]x_{j}[/itex]s and that the square root would be replaced by a vector where each element is calculated with the square root equation.

PS. Your equations should drop the i subscript where x is now an arbitrary input rather than the sample data point i.

PPS. I don't know which sign of the square root to pick. I think that an authoritative answer to your OP will take more expertise than I have.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
You'll find formulae if you look in a book on multiple regression, linear models, or basic multivariate analysis. Essentially you replace the quantity you ask about with the matrix equivalent. If [itex] \widehat y [/itex] is the fitted value from the equation, and [itex] \mathbf{x}_0 [/itex] is the specified value of the predictor, the interval estimate for the mean value of the response is

[tex]
\widehat y \pm t \sqrt{\, \hat{\sigma}^2 \mathbf{x}'_0 \left(X' X\right)^{-1} \mathbf{x}_0 }
[/tex]

If you want the interval for the particular value it is

[tex]
\widehat y \pm t \sqrt{\, \hat{\sigma}^2 \left(1 + \mathbf{x}'_0 \left(X' X\right)^{-1} \mathbf{x}_0 \right) }
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot for the replies. I looked through a couple of books but they only talked about multiple variable regression in too vague manner. This'll help me get forward. Thanks again.

1. What is a multiple variable prediction interval?

A multiple variable prediction interval is a statistical measure used to estimate the range in which a future observation or outcome is likely to fall based on multiple independent variables. It takes into account the variability and uncertainty associated with each of the variables to provide a more accurate prediction.

2. How is a multiple variable prediction interval calculated?

A multiple variable prediction interval is calculated by using a regression model to estimate the average value of the dependent variable and then adding and subtracting a margin of error, typically based on the standard error and degrees of freedom of the model. This accounts for the variability and uncertainty associated with the independent variables.

3. When should a multiple variable prediction interval be used?

A multiple variable prediction interval should be used when there are multiple independent variables that may affect the outcome, and when there is a need for a more accurate and precise prediction of the future outcome. It is commonly used in areas such as economics, finance, and environmental studies.

4. How is a multiple variable prediction interval different from a single variable prediction interval?

A single variable prediction interval only takes into account the variability and uncertainty associated with one independent variable, while a multiple variable prediction interval takes into account the variability and uncertainty associated with multiple independent variables. This makes the multiple variable prediction interval a more accurate and comprehensive measure.

5. What are the limitations of using a multiple variable prediction interval?

One limitation of using a multiple variable prediction interval is that it assumes that the relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variable is linear. It also assumes that the independent variables are not correlated with each other. Additionally, the accuracy of the prediction interval depends on the quality and completeness of the data used to create the model.