What is the basis of Rotation Curve?

In summary: Corrections are generally made to account for the effects of the gravity well of the galaxy. More specifically, the gravity well will cause light to be redshifted, and corrections are made to account for that.
Lino
I have been reading about rotation curves, and the I understand the basics, but I am trying to understand the basis / meaning of the curves?

Are the findings based on redshifts of individual stars / "bins of light" at set distances from the centre of the galaxy? And given that the predominance of the stars / bins are at the outer "edge" of the galaxy, are there corrections to the data for this?

I appreciate that these are likely "big picture" questions, and am happy to get pointers to articles / papers that can help my understanding.

Thanking you in advance,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
And given that the predominance of the stars / bins are at the outer "edge" of the galaxy
Are they?

You can take galaxies that can be resolved in telescopes, where it is easy to measure the red/blueshift for each part of the galaxy separately.

mfb said:
Are they?

You can take galaxies that can be resolved in telescopes, where it is easy to measure the red/blueshift for each part of the galaxy separately.

Thanks mfb, and understood, but I understand that the rotation curve is best considered for an edge-on galaxy, & if I resolve any star in an edge-on galaxy, how do I know how far from the centre it is (using a dart board example, when looked at edge-on, is the dart outside the scoring areas, in the outer double score ring, or the inner triple score ring, or one of the single score sections)?

Even if I do know where the star is (& I appreciate that this is a simplistic view), I assume that I need to make a correction to the reading - for example to recognise that the light had to climb a distance of the gravity well of the galaxy.

Last edited:
If you see it edge-on, you always see the summed effects of many stars, and need unfolding (or a fit model) to get the rotation curves.

Even if I do know where the star is (& I appreciate that this is a simplistic view), I assume that I need to make a correction to the reading - for example to recognise that the light had to climb a distance of the gravity well of the galaxy.
That should be a negligible effect, as it scales with ##v^2/c^2##, while redshift is ##v/c##.

mfb said:
If you see it edge-on, you always see the summed effects of many stars, and need unfolding (or a fit model) to get the rotation curves.

That should be a negligible effect, as it scales with ##v^2/c^2##, while redshift is ##v/c##.

Thanks mfb. I hadn't come across unfolding previously, so that will give me some reading avenues.

Sorry mfb, I've been thinking about this for a while, but it is still not clear to me.

mfb said:
... it scales with ##v^2/c^2##... .

What is the 'it' that you are referring to?

Thanks,

Noel.

Gravitational redshift of light ("to recognise that the light had to climb a distance of the gravity well of the galaxy."). v is the escape velocity at the point the light starts.

mfb said:
Gravitational redshift of light ("to recognise that the light had to climb a distance of the gravity well of the galaxy."). v is the escape velocity at the point the light starts.

Thanks mfb.

mfb said:
[Gravitational redshift ] scales with ##v^2/c^2##, while redshift is ##v/c##.

mfb, Can I follow up on this again please? I have two questions.
1. In the above quote, the ##v## in the first part represent escape velocity (as you have said), is the ##v## in the second part the same escape velocity?
2. The real purpose of my OP was to try to gain an understanding of the mechanics behind the calculation of a galactic rotation curve, and in particular the nature / reason for any corrections that need to be made to the readings (in order to get a correct result). Are there any corrections that are generally made to redshift readings in order to calculate the rotation curve of a galaxy?

As always, thanks in advance,

Noel.

Lino said:
mfb, Can I follow up on this again please? I have two questions.
1. In the above quote, the ##v## in the first part represent escape velocity (as you have said), is the ##v## in the second part the same escape velocity?
The second v is the motion of the object approximated by the escape velocity. They are not the same (otherwise the objects would escape...), but I ignored small prefactors. For a circular orbit around a central mass, those velocities differ by a factor of ##\sqrt{2}##.

2. The real purpose of my OP was to try to gain an understanding of the mechanics behind the calculation of a galactic rotation curve, and in particular the nature / reason for any corrections that need to be made to the readings (in order to get a correct result). Are there any corrections that are generally made to redshift readings in order to calculate the rotation curve of a galaxy?
I'm sure they are, but I think they are all small. Check papers about those measurements, it should be explained there.

Thanks mfb.

1. What is a rotation curve?

A rotation curve is a graph that shows the rotational velocity of objects, such as stars or galaxies, as a function of their distance from the center of rotation.

2. What is the basis of a rotation curve?

The basis of a rotation curve is the distribution of mass within the rotating object. This includes both visible matter, such as stars and gas, as well as invisible dark matter.

3. How is the rotation curve of a galaxy measured?

The rotation curve of a galaxy is typically measured by observing the Doppler shift of light emitted by stars or gas in the galaxy. This shift in wavelength can be used to calculate the rotational velocity of the object.

4. Why is the rotation curve of a galaxy important?

The rotation curve of a galaxy can provide insight into the distribution of mass within the galaxy. It can also be used to test theories of gravity, as discrepancies between predicted and observed rotation curves may suggest the presence of dark matter.

5. Can the rotation curve of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the rotation curve of a galaxy can change over time. This can be due to interactions with other galaxies, the accretion of new matter, or changes in the distribution of mass within the galaxy. However, these changes are typically gradual and do not significantly alter the overall shape of the rotation curve.