My Close Encounter with a Power Line Tower

In summary: Any clicking sound could be an arc (or short) and may indicate a discontinity in surface of the cable or a dirty or flawed (cracked) insulator. Bird droppings, mold, moss are common contaminants - as they can create an electric field that attracts small particles.
whozum
I was out stargazing tonight in the middle of nowhere. Theres plenty of washes out in the skirts of our suburb and I drove out into one of them to avoid city lights. After about ten minutes I started noticing a small clicking sound, kind of like that of static electricity or a small spark, and was curious where it was coming from.
I looked around and I noticed there were some of those huge power line towers running right behind where I was parked, and the noise started coming from one of those.

A couple minutes later I started feeling something really intense coming over me and the clicking kept on going, I was laying on top fo my car which was on gravel. Then I started feeling a little tingly and at this point I knew I needed to get the **** out of there so I took a quick dash away from my car. When I realized I wasnt about to get zapped todeath I got back in my car and drove away.

Anyway, the point of this story is, are those things supposed to be clicking like that? Was I really about to get zapped, or was I just tricking myself into thinking it?

Appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
wow, maybe the static was building up around that area of that power line, then maybe it will release a static discharge like a van de graff generator. lol

Oerg said:
wow, maybe the static was building up around that area of that power line, then maybe it will release a static discharge like a van de graff generator. lol

Thats what I was fearing but I figured that would be a very very very remote possibility, presuming they take precautions on this sort of thing.

no, you were probably just high :)

Gza said:
no, you were probably just high :)

Sober, this time :wink:

So its not possible? Was it static discharge that I was hearing? Nothing else really makes sense.

whozum said:
Was it static discharge that I was hearing? Nothing else really makes sense.
It could have been thermal expansion/contraction cycles of the conductors. I don't know where you live, but desert areas get quite cold at night. If the lines and/or towers were hot in daytime and were cooling after the sun went down, all sorts of weird noises could arise. I suppose it's also possible that clouds of insects might bridge between two conductors and create a temporary short, but I've personally never seen a bug cloud dense enough to do that.

Danger said:
It could have been thermal expansion/contraction cycles of the conductors. I don't know where you live, but desert areas get quite cold at night. If the lines and/or towers were hot in daytime and were cooling after the sun went down, all sorts of weird noises could arise. I suppose it's also possible that clouds of insects might bridge between two conductors and create a temporary short, but I've personally never seen a bug cloud dense enough to do that.

Scottsdale, Arizona

I think it was about 100 today and probably about 70s-80s that night, so not a big drop. I wasnt near the actual tower, but the wires were just over my head, I'd say about a few dozen feet. There weren't any swarms around or any insects that bothered me, and the clickign suond was very familiar, in Sudan there are a few faulty telephone wires that start clicking at the transformer after it rains, it sounded just like it, but there were visible sparks on those, I couldn't see any sparks this time.

PS, don't forget, tomorrows the grand opening. PM me if you need info.

whozum said:
PS, don't forget, tomorrows the grand opening. PM me if you need info.
Working on it; thanks for the reminder, though. I'll see what I can dig up amongst my friends around town about the wire thing. I'm assuming that the lines are aluminum, although I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Maybe if there's some sort of irregularity in the resistance at some point, it could cause enough air ionization to form a spark, or maybe the wires just aren't spaced far enough apart.

whozum said:
Anyway, the point of this story is, are those things supposed to be clicking like that? Was I really about to get zapped, or was I just tricking myself into thinking it?

High voltage transmission lines have an audible hum (at 60 Hz, which is AC frequency in US) called "corona hum", or "corona noise". Noise levels will vary (30-50 dBA normally) according voltage and cable conditions (which are usually multi-strand aluminum).

Any clicking sound could be an arc (or short) and may indicate a discontinity in surface of the cable or a dirty or flawed (cracked) insulator. Bird droppings, mold, moss are common contaminants - as are particulates, basically whatever is in the air that might settle from air or condensation.

Nowadays utilities use microprocessor relay systems to monitor the power lines (and grid) to detect potential faults.

IIRC - 115 kV, 138 kV, 240 kV, 345kV, 500 kV, 765 kV are common voltages and the sound will increase with voltage (energy).

Here is a site with some arcing discharges - http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm

Download the mpegs and then play them. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a power line tower and how does it work?

A power line tower, also known as an electricity pylon or transmission tower, is a tall structure used to support overhead power lines. These towers are typically made of steel and are used to transmit electricity from power plants to homes and businesses. The electricity travels through the power lines, which are connected to the towers, and is then distributed to various locations.

2. What is the purpose of power line towers?

The main purpose of power line towers is to transmit electricity from power plants to consumers. They also play a crucial role in maintaining a reliable and efficient power grid by providing support for the power lines and keeping them elevated and insulated from the ground.

3. How close is safe to be near a power line tower?

The safe distance to be near a power line tower varies depending on the voltage of the power lines. As a general rule, it is recommended to stay at least 100 feet away from a tower if the voltage is below 50kV, and at least 300 feet away if the voltage is above 50kV. It is important to always follow warning signs and stay out of restricted areas around power line towers.

4. Can power line towers be harmful to human health?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that power line towers have negative effects on human health. The World Health Organization has conducted extensive research on the topic and has concluded that there is no convincing evidence of any health risks associated with exposure to power lines or their electromagnetic fields.

5. What should I do if I have a close encounter with a power line tower?

If you accidentally come into contact with a power line tower, it is important to stay calm and avoid touching anything metal, as this can conduct electricity. If you are in a vehicle, stay inside until help arrives. If you are on foot, do not touch the tower or any wires and slowly back away from the area. Call emergency services and the utility company immediately to report the incident.