Inductors: DC vs AC Current for Buyers

• Thread starter powzoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary, when buying inductors, it is important to consider both the measured DC current and AC current. To avoid saturation, it is recommended to use the bigger number when deciding which inductor to purchase. This may require sizing the inductor to handle the peak current, which can be a combination of both AC and DC currents.
powzoom
I'm looking to buy some inductors, axial or radial ones. What I need to know is the difference between measured dc current and ac current. Modeled in multisim, the max dc current through the inductor is about 1mA but the max ac current approaches 1A. I know inductors have max current values, so do I use the 1mA or the 1A to decide which one to buy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
powzoom said:
I'm looking to buy some inductors, axial or radial ones. What I need to know is the difference between measured dc current and ac current. Modeled in multisim, the max dc current through the inductor is about 1mA but the max ac current approaches 1A. I know inductors have max current values, so do I use the 1mA or the 1A to decide which one to buy?

You generally want to keep your inductors out of saturation, both for DC and AC. So use the bigger number.

Ooops! I thought this thread was about "moron inducters."

*Quietly slips out*

berkeman said:
You generally want to keep your inductors out of saturation, both for DC and AC. So use the bigger number.

I need to clarify this a bit (thank you to user Phrak for the tip)...

To keep the inductor from saturating, you need to size it to handle the biggest PEAK current that it will experience in operation. That may be a combination of the AC and DC currents, depending on their relative sizes and offsets.

Looks like I was the inductor moron... :rolleyes:

What is the difference between DC and AC current?

DC (direct current) is a type of electrical current that flows in one direction, while AC (alternating current) is a type of electrical current that periodically reverses its direction of flow. DC is commonly used in batteries, while AC is used to power household appliances and electronics.

How do inductors work?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an electrical current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the inductor. The magnetic field then resists any changes in the current flow, causing the inductor to act as a temporary energy storage device.

What is the purpose of an inductor in a circuit?

Inductors are commonly used in circuits to filter out unwanted signals and to smooth out variations in current. They can also be used to store energy and provide a temporary boost in voltage.

How do inductors behave in DC and AC circuits?

In DC circuits, inductors act as a resistance to the flow of current, causing a voltage drop. In AC circuits, inductors act as a frequency-dependent impedance, meaning their resistance to current flow changes with the frequency of the AC signal. This is why inductors are often used to filter out specific frequencies in AC circuits.

What are the key considerations when choosing an inductor for a specific application?

Some key factors to consider when choosing an inductor for a specific application include the inductance value, maximum current rating, and the frequency range of the circuit. Other factors may include the size, temperature rating, and cost of the inductor.