Astronomy or Cosmology Christmas gift ideas

In summary, the sky is the limit when it comes to gift ideas for an astronomer or astrophotographer. Greg Parker and Noel Carboni both have amazing work that is accessible to the layman, and they also offer interesting information about the objects that they image. The Klein bottle is another great option, as is a t-shirt with a relevant slogan. Finally, books and prints are always a good choice.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a friend asking for ideas for an A or C oriented gift, including things that might be a bit of a scam, like having a star named after you. I know that you can buy land on the moon but that is expensive. Any ideas?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Star Vistas. It is a wonderful coffee-table book of astrophotography with forwords by Sir Arthur C. Clark, Sir Patrick Moore, and doctor Brian May (yes THAT Brian May). Greg Parker does the imaging and Noel Carboni does the image processing. They are both great guys, and they are tops at what they do. I am a member of a forum on which they give advanced views of their images, even while they are in progress, and their work is incredible.

Edit: They give interesting information about the objects that they image, and they keep the descriptions accurate, but within the reach of laymen.

anything affordable? =\

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a Klein bottle made of glass?
http://www.kleinbottle.com/

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those have been passed along in addition to an offer for land on the moon, for $29 an acre.

Don't they make some kind of models of planets and stars? That you put together yourself. May be kind of cheesey and childish but I might consider getting something like that for myself. A lot of the stuff seems to be for kids though.

You could also make a t shirt with some relevant slogan and design. Design it yourself or NASA has a space store with some items. You can also buy part of a meteorite from NASA for like $25 I think.

Last edited:
I really like these http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/largescale/ . I once saw one of saturn but can't find it now.
If not then like everyone else has said books or prints are always nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Those have been passed along in addition to an offer for land on the moon, for $29 an acre.

HA! I bought all my groomsmen an acre as a present for standing in my wedding with me.

Other ideas:

The Universe (DVD) - From the history channel. I saw the first season for $30 somewhere last weekend.

Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 Binoculars with Tripod Adapter - currently $49.99 ($50 off) at Amazon right now.

Understanding Cosmology (book) - a little book put out by Scientific American I believe. It was accessible at an advanced High school / undergrad level I thought.

1. What are some educational gifts for someone interested in astronomy or cosmology?

Some great educational gifts for someone interested in astronomy or cosmology could include a telescope, a star chart or map, a book on astronomy or cosmology, a subscription to a science magazine, or a membership to a local planetarium or observatory.

2. Are there any fun or unique gifts for a space enthusiast?

Yes, there are plenty of fun and unique gifts for space enthusiasts. Some ideas could include a set of space-themed mugs or coasters, a space-themed board game, a 3D puzzle of a famous space structure, a moon phase calendar, or a replica of a famous spacecraft or satellite.

3. What are some budget-friendly astronomy or cosmology gift ideas?

If you're on a budget, some affordable astronomy or cosmology gift ideas could include a constellation poster or print, a set of glow-in-the-dark stars, a book on stargazing, a set of space-themed fridge magnets, or a DIY solar system model kit.

4. What are some gift ideas for kids interested in astronomy or cosmology?

For kids interested in astronomy or cosmology, some gift ideas could include a kid-friendly telescope, a space-themed puzzle or game, a book or activity kit on space exploration, a set of space-themed stickers or temporary tattoos, or a plush toy of a planet or star.

5. Are there any hands-on gift ideas for someone interested in cosmology?

Yes, there are many hands-on gift ideas for someone interested in cosmology. Some options could include a DIY solar system mobile kit, a build-your-own model of a spacecraft or satellite, a virtual reality space experience, a telescope making kit, or a subscription to a monthly science experiment box.