Simplify this algebraic expression

In summary, the original expression 12x3 + 8x2 / 6x2 + 4x can be simplified to 4x2 / 2x by factoring out a 2x from both the numerator and denominator, but it cannot be simplified any further. It is important to use parentheses when writing out expressions to avoid confusion and incorrect cancellation of terms.
Gringo123
I have been asked to simplify this one:

12x3 + 8x2 / 6x2 + 4x

By factoring it out I have simplified it to 4x2 / 2x

Is there anything I can do to simplify it further? I know the rules of dividing powers and hence if it was 4x2 / 4x I know I could simplify it to to 4x (subtract the powers). however, I am not sure how this rule works when the coefficients of x are different as in this case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use parentheses!

Your work so far is correct. Since there are factors in common in the numerator and denominator, your result can be simplified.

Try factoring out 2x/2x from the equation and see what you get.

That should just be one 2x. Oops.

Gringo123 said:

12x3 + 8x2 / 6x2 + 4x

By factoring it out I have simplified it to 4x2 / 2x

Is there anything I can do to simplify it further? I know the rules of dividing powers and hence if it was 4x2 / 4x I know I could simplify it to to 4x (subtract the powers). however, I am not sure how this rule works when the coefficients of x are different as in this case.

As you have it written your expression reads

[tex]
12x^3 + \frac{8x^2}{6x^2} + 4x
[/tex]

- if this is what you intended, it does not simplify to [itex] 2x [/itex]

If, on the other hand, you intended to write

[tex]
\frac{12x^3 + 8x^2}{6x^2 + 4x}
[/tex]

it still does not simplify to [itex] 2x [/itex].

Gringo123 said:

12x3 + 8x2 / 6x2 + 4x

statdad said:
As you have it written your expression reads
[tex]12x^3 + \frac{8x^2}{6x^2} + 4x[/tex]

This is why I have pointed out to you several times the need for parentheses. Here's how your expression should be written if you aren't able to format it nicely in LaTeX.
(12x3 + 8x2) / (6x2 + 4x)

You are obviously a motivated math student, and have sought help here at PF a number of times. Don't make us work have to work at trying to divine what you mean by having to incorrectly interpret what you have written.

Last edited:
And to elaborate slightly on statdad's remark, that it still doesn't simplify to 2x, the expression 2x can be evaluated for every real value of x, while your original expression cannot be evaluated at every real x.

Remember, you can cancel items which are factors in a product , but not those that are terms in sums

For example, the following is correct.

[tex]
\frac{2x^3+6x}{2x^2+6x}= \frac{2x(2x^2+3)}{2x(2x+3)} = \frac{2x^2+3}{2x+3}
[/tex]

(I canceled a factor of [itex] 2x [/itex] from top and bottom)

but the next is not correct.

[tex]
\frac{2x^3+6x}{2x^2+6x} = \frac{2x^3}{2x^2}
[/tex]

(I incorrectly canceled [itex] 6x [/itex] from top and bottom).

statdad said:
Remember, you can cancel items which are factors in a product , but not those that are terms in sums

For example, the following is correct.

[tex]
\frac{2x^3+6x}{2x^2+6x}= \frac{2x(2x^2+3)}{2x(2x+3)} = \frac{2x^2+3}{2x+3}
[/tex]

(I canceled a factor of [itex] 2x [/itex] from top and bottom)

but the next is not correct.

[tex]
\frac{2x^3+6x}{2x^2+6x} = \frac{2x^3}{2x^2}
[/tex]

(I incorrectly canceled [itex] 6x [/itex] from top and bottom).

erm.. 2x^2 +6x =/= 2x(2x+3)

2x^2 +6x = 2x(x+3)

typo >.< lol

Jake4 said:
erm.. 2x^2 +6x =/= 2x(2x+3)

2x^2 +6x = 2x(x+3)

typo >.< lol

Typo? You are being too kind: it's a full-blown error. Thanks for pointing it out. (The rest of my post stands, I think :) )

What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical statement that contains numbers, variables, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What does it mean to simplify an algebraic expression?

Simplifying an algebraic expression means to reduce it to its simplest form by combining like terms and performing any necessary operations.

How do I simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, first combine like terms by adding or subtracting them. Then, use the distributive property and perform any necessary operations. Finally, rearrange the terms in ascending or descending order.

Why is it important to simplify algebraic expressions?

Simplifying algebraic expressions can make them easier to work with and can help to identify patterns and solutions. It also allows for easier algebraic manipulation and can lead to a better understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts.

Can all algebraic expressions be simplified?

No, not all algebraic expressions can be simplified. Some expressions may already be in their simplest form, while others may not have any like terms to combine. It is important to know when an expression can and cannot be simplified.