Solving Massless Pulley: Finding Accelerations, Tension & Pulley Motion

In summary, we have a system consisting of two masses connected by a massless string wrapped around a massless pulley. An external force F is applied to the pulley, and the masses are not equal. We are asked to find the acceleration of each mass, the tension in the string, and the acceleration of the pulley. Using the fact that the sum of the two lengths of string must be constant, we can write out the position equations for each mass. Then, using F = ma for each mass separately, we can solve for the three unknowns. Alternatively, we can also start with F = ma for the center of mass of the system and solve for the unknowns.
tonicandgin

Homework Statement

m1 and m2 are connected by a massless string wrapped around a massless pulley. An external force F is applied to the pulley. m1 does not equal m2

find the acceleration of each mass, the tension in the string, and the acceleration of the pulley.

F external and m1 and m2 are known.

there is no gravity or friction in the problem.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

What I've worked out so far is that we must consider two reference frames to determine the accelerations. If we can calculate the acceleration of the pulley and the acceleration of one of the masses, the acceleration of the other mass should be determined.

If we consider the pulley's reference frame, one of the masses will be accelerating toward the pulley and the other mass will be accelerating with an equal and opposite acceleration.

If we consider m1, we see the pulley accelerating toward m1 and m2 accelerating with an equal acceleration.

how can we combine these two reference frames to determine the accelerations in the lab frame?

is the acceleration of the center of mass of the system relevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tonicandgin! welcome to pf! :wink:
tonicandgin said:
… we must consider two reference frames …

no :confused:

call the position of the pulley x, call the length of string between the pulley and m1 and m2, respectively, L1 and L2

and use the fact that L1 + L2 must be constant …

what do you get? :smile:

thanks for the response.

to clarify: what do you mean by "call the position of the pulley x"? is that its position before the force is applied and everything starts moving? or does x change as the system moves?

what i have so far is:

call position of the pulley x. call the length between pulley and the 2 masses L1 and L2, respectively
then position of m1 = x - L1 + 1/2 am1t2
and position of m2 = x - L2 + 1/2 am2t2

i've done a bunch of algebra trying to make use of L1 + L2 = L but nothing seems useful.

I think what i should do is write position equations for each mass and then take two time derivatives to get acceleration, but the only position equations i can write include the accelerations I'm looking for in the first place.

hi tonicandgin! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
tonicandgin said:
… does x change as the system moves?

yes, that's the easiest way …

then you get …

position of m1 = x - L1
position of m2 = x - L2

then call the tension T, and do F = ma for each mass separately …

what do you get? :smile:

thanks for the help. so far I have:

a1 - ar = ap
a2 + ar = ap

where ar is the relative acceleration of each mass with the pulley.

( m1x1 + m2x2 ) / ( m1 + m2 ) is the center of mass of the system. if we take two time derivatives we get ( m1a1 + m2a2 ) / ( m1 + m2 ) which must equal the only external force, F.

F must = 2T

this is as much as i could get out of my professor today, he seemed to think it was solvable from here, but i still feel like there are too many unknowns and not enough equations.

hi tonicandgin! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

yes, there are two ways doing it

your can either start with F = ma for the centre of mass, as your professor suggests,

or you can just do F = ma for each of the three bodies separately
tonicandgin said:
… i still feel like there are too many unknowns and not enough equations.

whichever method you choose, write out all the equations you have, and we'll see :smile:

1. What is a massless pulley?

A massless pulley is a theoretical concept used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations involving pulley systems. It is assumed to have no mass, friction, or inertia, meaning it does not affect the motion of the system and the tension in the rope remains constant.

2. How do you find the acceleration of a massless pulley system?

To find the acceleration of a massless pulley system, you can use Newton's laws of motion. The net force acting on the system is equal to the mass of the system times its acceleration. You can then use this equation to solve for the acceleration of the system.

3. What is the tension in the rope of a massless pulley system?

The tension in the rope of a massless pulley system is equal throughout the rope. This is because the massless pulley does not contribute any weight or friction to the system, so the tension does not change as it passes through the pulley.

4. How does a massless pulley affect the motion of a system?

A massless pulley does not affect the motion of a system as it does not have any mass or friction. This means that the acceleration of the system and the tension in the rope will not be affected by the presence of the pulley.

5. Can a real-life pulley be considered massless?

No, a real-life pulley will always have some mass and friction. However, a real-life pulley can be approximated as massless for certain calculations if its mass and friction are negligible compared to the other components of the system.