Complex conjugate of a derivative wrt z

In summary: However, if f(z, z*) = z*, then ∂f/∂z = 0 and the formula holds. The correct formula would be ∂f/∂z = (∂f*/∂z*)*.
stallm
First post!

Is it true that for a complex function f([itex]{z}[/itex],[itex]\overline{z}[/itex])

[itex]\overline{\frac{∂f}{∂z}}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{∂\overline{f}}{∂\overline{z}}[/itex]

I think I proved this while trying to solve a problem. If it turns out it's not true and I've made a mistake, I'll upload my 'proof' and have the mistakes pointed out :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi stallm!welcome to pf! :smile:

but if f(z,z*) = z* then ∂f/∂z = 0 :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hi stallm!welcome to pf! :smile:

but if f(z,z*) = z* then ∂f/∂z = 0 :confused:

That would be alright, because f*=z, so ∂(f*)/∂(z*) =0, so the formula works for this function

ah, i misread it :redface:

in that case, yes …

it's f(x,y), you're swapping x and y, differentiating wrt x instead of y, and swapping back again (for ∂f/∂z = (∂f*/∂z*)*) :smile:

Thank you!

stallm said:
First post!

Is it true that for a complex function f([itex]{z}[/itex],[itex]\overline{z}[/itex])

[itex]\overline{\frac{∂f}{∂z}}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{∂\overline{f}}{∂\overline{z}}[/itex]

I think I proved this while trying to solve a problem. If it turns out it's not true and I've made a mistake, I'll upload my 'proof' and have the mistakes pointed out :)

Thanks

I do not think this is correct.

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a number that has the same real part as a given complex number, but with an opposite imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

2. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

3. What does "wrt z" mean in the phrase "derivative wrt z"?

"wrt z" stands for "with respect to z," indicating that the derivative is being taken with respect to the variable z in the given function.

4. Can a complex conjugate of a derivative wrt z be imaginary?

Yes, the complex conjugate of a derivative wrt z can be imaginary. This is because the derivative itself can be a complex number, and taking the complex conjugate of that number will result in a different imaginary component.

5. What is the significance of finding the complex conjugate of a derivative wrt z?

Finding the complex conjugate of a derivative wrt z is useful in many mathematical applications, such as in solving differential equations or analyzing complex functions. It can also help in simplifying complex expressions and identifying patterns in mathematical relationships.