Equivalent Electri Force, Find the charge.

In summary, the objects in this situation have a negative charge, so their force is opposite of the initial force.
pmd28

Homework Statement

Two objects are identical and small enough that their sizes can be ignored relative to the distance between them, which is 0.3 m. In a vacuum, each object carries a different charge, and they attract each other with a force of 2.3 N. The objects are brought into contact, so the net charge is shared equally, and then they are returned to their initial positions. Now it is found that the objects repel one another with a force whose magnitude is equal to that of the initial attractive force. What is the initial charge on each object? (Note: there are two possible pairs of answers, but assume q1 to be the larger number.)

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that since force is equal Fr2/k is a constant. Also since the charge in the 2nd case is equally shared I can re-write the equation for force as F=kq2/r2. Solving for q gets me 4.8e-6.

From here since the charge was shared equally between q1 and q2, q=q1+q2/2. Using substitution to solve for q2, I came up with the following quadratic:

-q12+9.6e-6(q1)-9.6e-6. This results in an invalid quadratic equation because b2-4ac gives me a negative number. I think I made math errors or I'm missing a step, but the underlying concept makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
pmd28 said:

Homework Statement

Two objects are identical and small enough that their sizes can be ignored relative to the distance between them, which is 0.3 m. In a vacuum, each object carries a different charge, and they attract each other with a force of 2.3 N. The objects are brought into contact, so the net charge is shared equally, and then they are returned to their initial positions. Now it is found that the objects repel one another with a force whose magnitude is equal to that of the initial attractive force. What is the initial charge on each object? (Note: there are two possible pairs of answers, but assume q1 to be the larger number.)

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that since force is equal Fr2/k is a constant. Also since the charge in the 2nd case is equally shared I can re-write the equation for force as F=kq2/r2. Solving for q gets me 4.8e-6.

From here since the charge was shared equally between q1 and q2, q=q1+q2/2. Using substitution to solve for q2, I came up with the following quadratic:
Be careful with parentheses. That should be written,
q = (q1+q2)/2​
-q12+9.6e-6(q1)-9.6e-6. This results in an invalid quadratic equation because b2-4ac gives me a negative number. I think I made math errors or I'm missing a step, but the underlying concept makes sense.

It's likely that the signs of the charges is what's causing your problems.

The magnitude of the force is the same for both situations, so
|q1q2| = q2
but because q1q2 is negative,
|q1q2| = -q1q2 .​

ok now I just got a completely wrong answer. My new quadratic equation is q22-9.59e-6+4.8e-6. I got answer of like .00348

pmd28 said:
ok now I just got a completely wrong answer. My new quadratic equation is q22-9.59e-6+4.8e-6. I got answer of like .00348
Coulombs?

What equations are you putting together to get your answers ?

Your approach is correct, but there is an error in your calculation. The correct equation for the initial force is F=kq1q2/r^2, where r is the distance between the two objects. Since the objects are brought into contact and then returned to their initial positions, the distance between them remains the same. Therefore, the initial force is still 2.3 N.

Using this information, we can set up the following equations:

For the initial attractive force: 2.3 N = kq1q2/(0.3 m)^2

For the repulsive force after the objects are brought into contact: 2.3 N = k(q1/2)(q2/2)/(0.3 m)^2

Solving for q1 and q2 in terms of k and the initial force, we get:

q1 = (2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/kq2

q2 = (2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/kq1

Substituting these values into the equation q=q1+q2/2 and simplifying, we get:

q = (2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/k(1+q1/q2)

Since we know that the initial force is equal to the repulsive force after the objects are brought into contact, we can equate the two equations and solve for q1:

(2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/kq2 = (2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/k(1+q1/q2)

Solving for q1, we get:

q1 = q2(1+q1/q2) - 1

q1 = q2 + q1 - q2

q1 = q1

This means that q1 and q2 are equal. Substituting this into the equation for the initial attractive force, we get:

2.3 N = kq^2/(0.3 m)^2

Solving for q, we get:

q = √(2.3 N)(0.3 m)^2/k

Since there are two possible pairs of answers, we can assume that q1 is the larger number, which means that q2 is equal to q1. Therefore, the initial charge on each object is √(2.3 N)(0.3 m)^

1. What is equivalent electric force?

Equivalent electric force is the force between two charged particles, which is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. It is also known as Coulomb's law.

2. How is equivalent electric force calculated?

Equivalent electric force is calculated by using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can equivalent electric force be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, equivalent electric force can be both attractive and repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles involved. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.

4. What is the unit of equivalent electric force?

The unit of equivalent electric force is Newton (N), which is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).

5. How is equivalent electric force related to charge?

Equivalent electric force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges involved. This means that the greater the charge of the particles, the stronger the force between them will be.