Register to reply

POWER LOSS confusion

by K Dhiraj Bhak
Tags: confusion, loss, power
Share this thread:
K Dhiraj Bhak
Mar30-14, 08:26 AM
P: 13
Power loss doubt: power loss = I^2 R Power loss = V^2 / R But the 2 equations are contradictory ,,, from the first equation , we can say " MORE THE RESISTANCE MORE THE POWER LOSS" from the second equation ,,, it is the other way round... Why does this happen? ( usually the 1st equation is used for power loss expression ,, but i dont know why ,, and i want to know why the second equation cant be used)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
Doc Al
Mar30-14, 08:53 AM
Mentor
P: 41,301
Quote Quote by K Dhiraj Bhak View Post
Power loss doubt: power loss = I^2 R Power loss = V^2 / R But the 2 equations are contradictory ,,, from the first equation , we can say " MORE THE RESISTANCE MORE THE POWER LOSS" from the second equation ,,, it is the other way round... Why does this happen? ( usually the 1st equation is used for power loss expression ,, but i dont know why ,, and i want to know why the second equation cant be used)
The expressions are consistent. The first one says that the more resistance the more the power loss if the current is held fixed. Just the opposite if the voltage is held fixed.

Register to reply