Metabolism of HFCS & Margarine: Health Impacts

In summary: High fructose corn syrup and margarine are two commonly used food ingredients that contribute to both inflammation and obesity.Recently, there has been growing concern over the link between these two things. Studies have shown that both HFCS and margarine can contribute to inflammation in a number of different ways. For example, both of these foods can increase the production of bad cholesterol, and they can also increase the levels of bad fats in the body. In addition, these foods can also lead to weight gain and obesity.Because of all of these problems, it is important to be aware of the impact that these foods have on your health. If you are looking to reduce your risk of developing obesity or other health problems, it is
UnD3R0aTh
Hello,

I'm asked to write about the following: "High fructose corn syrup and margarine are two commonly used food ingredients that contribute to both inflammation and obesity."

Write one page each on the metabolism of each of these foods in your body, and cite at least one recent paper (peer reviewed) on their impact on your health.

Can you please help me understand what is needed? What is meant by metabolism? Where can I find peer reviewed articles? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you found on your own? Surely you have researched this since you are supposed to write about it.

I found the articles, but I don't get metabolism, am I supposed to write on how sugars and fats digested, absorbed and and used in the body?

it's not that i don't get metabolism, it's a broad term, i don't know what's needed

UnD3R0aTh said:
Hello,

I'm asked to write about the following: "High fructose corn syrup and margarine are two commonly used food ingredients that contribute to both inflammation and obesity."

Write one page each on the metabolism of each of these foods in your body, and cite at least one recent paper (peer reviewed) on their impact on your health.

Can you please help me understand what is needed? What is meant by metabolism? Where can I find peer reviewed articles? Thanks.

This whole research paper prompt seems loaded, HFCS doesn't contribute to obesity, more calories in than out does.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full He consults for the food and beverage industry, good read though. And check out some of the references.

I'm also pretty sure fructose, glucose, sucrose all cause inflammation, it's not limited to one type of sweetener.

UnD3R0aTh said:
it's not that i don't get metabolism, it's a broad term, i don't know what's needed

It's wondering how HFCS is absorbed in the body, what happens...ect.

Student100 said:
This whole research paper prompt seems loaded, HFCS doesn't contribute to obesity, more calories in than out does.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/6/1716S.full He consults for the food and beverage industry, good read though. And check out some of the references.

This issue is currently under some debate in the scientific community. Although obesity is clearly caused by eating more calories than our body uses, obesity is not a health problem in itself; rather, obesity is a risk factor for various other health problems such as type II diabetes and cancer. Collectively, the negative health effects associated with obesity are sometimes referred to as metabolic syndrome.

Research over the past decade or so has suggested consumption of fructose is a major contributor to metabolic syndrome, so calories from foods containing fructose such as sugar or HFCS, are worse that calories from other sources. This is because fructose is metabolized exclusively by the liver, leads to build up of fat in the liver, which is though to contribute to metabolic syndrome. See, for example, my post in a previous thread on the topic for some links to papers studying this issue (the thread may be relevant to the OP as well).
UnD3R0aTh said:
A good starting point would be to say, what types of molecules compose each of the two substances, and what chemical reactions are involved in breaking these substances down in order to produce energy and/ store them in the body. Good questions to consider might be where in the body are each of these chemical reactions occurring, what enzymes are involved in the reactions, and what metabolic pathways the products of the reactions feed into.

1. What is HFCS and how is it metabolized in the body?

High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a sweetener commonly used in processed foods and beverages. It is made from corn starch and contains a high percentage of fructose. When consumed, HFCS is broken down into glucose and fructose in the small intestine and then absorbed into the bloodstream. The glucose is used for energy by the body while the fructose is metabolized in the liver.

2. Is the metabolism of HFCS different from that of other sugars?

The metabolism of HFCS is similar to that of other sugars like sucrose (table sugar) and honey. However, since HFCS contains a higher percentage of fructose, it may have a slightly different effect on the body compared to other sugars. Some studies suggest that excessive consumption of HFCS may contribute to health issues such as obesity and type 2 diabetes.

3. What are the potential health impacts of consuming HFCS?

Excessive consumption of HFCS has been linked to various health issues, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This is because fructose is metabolized differently than glucose and can lead to an increase in fat production in the liver. Additionally, HFCS is often found in highly processed foods that are low in nutritional value, which can contribute to poor overall health.

4. How is margarine metabolized in the body?

Margarine is a butter substitute made from vegetable oils. It is primarily composed of unsaturated fats and has a similar metabolism to other fats. When consumed, margarine is broken down into fatty acids and glycerol, which are then absorbed into the bloodstream and used for energy or stored as fat in the body.

5. Are there any potential health impacts of consuming margarine?

The health impacts of consuming margarine depend on the type and amount consumed. Some margarine products may contain trans fats, which have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. However, many margarine products have been reformulated to remove trans fats and are now made with healthier unsaturated fats. Consuming margarine in moderation as part of a balanced diet is not likely to have significant negative health impacts.