What is the Relationship Between Heat Capacity and Temperature Change in a Room?

In summary, the conversation discusses using an equation to determine the amount of power needed to cool a room by a certain temperature in a certain amount of time. It also mentions the concept of "leakage" and how it relates to the power needed to maintain a constant temperature in the room. The conversation ends with the question of whether the equation can also determine the power needed to artificially cool the room.
TSN79
I have a room that is V m3. If I heat up the room a certain temp, then let it cool, and I measure the temp drop rate to be i.e. 10K in 2 hours. Then I use the following equation:

[tex]
\dot Q = C_P \cdot V \cdot \rho \cdot \dot T
[/tex]

This gives me Watt value, but I'm not excactly sure what it tells me. Perhaps the value for the temp drop should be negative, so that it tells me that it would require so many Watts to cool the room 10K in 2 hours :confused: If someone can verify this it would be great.

Also, if there are several items in the room that have different heat capacity, can I then just add these together or how would that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to measure the room's heat capacity you need to heat it to a certain temperature, make sure the entire content of the room is at the same temperature, both before and after heating, and then divide the energy by the temperature difference.

But is my thought on the equation correct? Does this Watt-value denote how much effect it would take to cool the room 10 degrees in 2 hours?

TSN79 said:
But is my thought on the equation correct? Does this Watt-value denote how much effect it would take to cool the room 10 degrees in 2 hours?

No, it just tells you how much heat is escaping from your room (leakage to the outside world). It tells you how much power you must spend to keep your room at a constant temperature (power like from an electric heater).

If you stop the leak, somehow, and you want to create an artificial leak with an airco, then you will need to evacuate the same quantity of heat. But you do not need so much electrical power ; an airco needs less power than the heat it "pumps", which depends on the ratio of the inside and outside temperature (if the outside temperature is LOWER, it goes all by itself, as when opening a window), and on the quality of the airco.

Last edited:
Aha, thx. This "leakage" would be a combination of transmission loss and infiltration loss right? Can I somehow measure (or calculate) how much is due to which? Then I would really be getting somewhere...

1. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius (or one Kelvin). It is commonly measured in joules per degree Celsius (J/C) or specific heat capacity, which is measured in joules per gram Kelvin (J/g∙K).

2. How is the heat capacity of a room calculated?

The heat capacity of a room can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the air in the room by the specific heat capacity of air, which is approximately 1.01 J/g∙K. This will give you the total heat capacity of the room in joules per degree Celsius.

3. Does the size of a room affect its heat capacity?

Yes, the larger the room, the greater its heat capacity will be. This is because a larger room contains more air, which has a higher heat capacity. However, other factors such as insulation and ventilation also play a role in the heat capacity of a room.

4. What factors can affect the heat capacity of a room?

The heat capacity of a room can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size of the room, the materials used for insulation, the amount of ventilation, and the type of heating or cooling system in place. Additionally, the number of occupants and their activities can also affect the heat capacity of a room.

5. How can the heat capacity of a room be changed?

The heat capacity of a room can be changed by altering its physical properties. For example, adding insulation to the walls and ceiling can decrease the heat capacity by reducing heat loss. On the other hand, increasing ventilation or using a more efficient heating or cooling system can increase the heat capacity of a room by allowing for more heat transfer.