How to Calculate the Surface Integral of a Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface integral between the planes z=1 and z=2 and whether the divergence theorem can be used for this question. The person asking for help has already made some progress and is now trying to determine the limits for the integral. They have received confirmation that their method is correct and are seeking verification of their final answer.
denian
[PLAIN]http://www.mrnerdy.com/forum_img/dont%20know.JPG what do i need to do next to find the surface integral btw the planes z=1 and z=2?
or is there anything wrong that i did?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tried applying the divergence theorem? I think that would make your calculations much easier.

i think we are not allowed to use divergence theorem for this question because divergence theorem will only be taught in the following sub-chapter

denian said:
http://www.mrnerdy.com/forum_img/dont%20know.JPG

what do i need to do next to find the surface integral btw the planes z=1 and z=2?
or is there anything wrong that i did?

What you've done so far is fine. Your choice of [itex]0\le v \le \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] gives the upper hemisphere. Now, of course, you have to determine what v is when z= 2 sin v= 1 and z= 2 sin v= 2 and use those limits in your integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. i did it and i get 4pi
can someone help verify the answer? TQVM.

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field across a curved surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface.

2. What is a sphere?

A sphere is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is perfectly round, with all points on its surface equidistant from its center. It is often described as a "ball" or "globe."

3. How is a surface integral calculated on a sphere?

To calculate a surface integral on a sphere, the surface is divided into small pieces, or patches, and the integral is evaluated over each patch. The results are then summed together to find the total flux across the entire surface. This process is known as surface parameterization.

4. What is the significance of a surface integral on a sphere?

A surface integral on a sphere can be used to calculate various physical quantities, such as surface area, mass, and charge distribution. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving fluid flow, electric fields, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any real-world applications of surface integrals on spheres?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of surface integrals on spheres. For example, in meteorology, surface integrals on spheres are used to calculate the heat transfer between the Earth's surface and the atmosphere. In geodesy, they are used to calculate the Earth's gravitational field. In computer graphics, they are used to render 3D objects. And in physics, they are used to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields on the surface of a sphere.