Do you use calculator programs for calculus?

In summary, the calculator programs that are good for calculus are Equation Writer for the TI-89, Solver for www.integrals.com, and Integrator for www.integrals.com.
fsm
Do you use calculator programs for calculus?? If so what is good?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used the TI-83+ calculator which already came with some good programs to use. I would also suggest learning how to write your own, it actually makes your life easier. Their is instruction on writing programs in the handbook that came with your calculator.

I use Equation Writer for the TI-89. It's not free unfortunately but it allows you to construct complex mathematical structures visually with the whole catalog of functions supported. For example, in this program you can insert "lim(" from the catalog and it will display all of the arguments in the limit expression (the function, the variable, and the target value) as a box, so you don't need to know the syntax of the lim() function as lim(x,y,z)-- instead you can see it visually. Just a fast little program that saves time if you need to type something complex.

I've found that it's simple enough to do those things without any Equation Writer, z-comp. If you look in the catalog, it will tell you at the bottom what the arguments of the function are.

The TI-89's pretty print (built-in) is very helpful when taking integrals and derivatives, as well as the expand(exp) and factor(exp) functions. The TI-83 seems to be limited in its capibility of taking derivatives and integrals.

As a side-note, make sure you're not relying on your calculator to do all the work! It's good for checking your work though.

If I ever use a calculator it's for arithmetic. They are painfully slow and just get in my way with regard to algebra and calculus.

Differentiation is a no brainer most of the time. It may be tedious, but it's almost always doable by hand.

For algebra and integral calculus there are excellent webmathematica based tools :

Solver : http://www.hostsrv.com/webmab/app1/MSP/quickmath/02/pageGenerate?site=quickmath&s1=equations&s2=solve&s3=basic

Integrator : www.integrals.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my calculator batteries ran out in 1994...

Do they have colour displays these days?

1. What are calculator programs for calculus?

Calculator programs for calculus are software applications that are designed to perform complex mathematical equations and functions related to calculus.

2. Are calculator programs for calculus reliable?

Yes, calculator programs for calculus are typically designed and tested by experts in the field, making them reliable and accurate for solving complex calculus problems.

3. Can calculator programs for calculus be used for exams?

It depends on the specific rules and regulations of the exam. Some exams may allow the use of calculator programs for calculus, while others may not. It is important to check with the exam guidelines beforehand.

4. Are there free calculator programs for calculus?

Yes, there are many free calculator programs for calculus available online. However, it is important to ensure that the program is reputable and accurate before using it for important calculations.

5. How do calculator programs for calculus differ from traditional calculators?

Calculator programs for calculus are specifically designed for solving complex calculus problems, whereas traditional calculators may only have basic functions. Calculator programs for calculus also often have more advanced features and capabilities.