Math Equation Tattoo: What Do You Think?

In summary, the tattoo that the protagonist is considering has a negative e^{i \pi} and is more painful. He likes the first tattoo better. He thinks that the negative tattoo looks cool. He also thinks that tattoos are excellent identity markers. However, he does not think that people will be particularly interested in his tattoo or that it will be an amazement. He suggests the Navier Stokes equations as a more impressive tattoo.
Nothing000
I am getting this tattoo on my leg:

[tex] e^{i \pi} = -1 [/tex]

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not the [tex] e^{i \pi}+1=0 [/tex] version? Only slightly more painful and it works 0 in.

I might get it that way. But I like the first one a little better. I think the negative one looks cool. Plus I can always explain to people that ask about it that if you add one to both sides then it is an equation that has all five of the fundamental numbers.

Why would you do this?

I don't mean to spoil your fun or anything, but I don't think people are going to look at your tattoo in amazement and I don't think that they will be particularly interested that if you add 1 to both sides you will get 5 of the fundamental numbers.

I mean I'm not fan of tattoos in general because you have to live with this image etched into your skin for the rest of your life. Also I've just never thought tattoos have served any purpose at all. If you are really wanting people to see something that you consider to look cool then just print the design on a t-shirt.

Also, you should get a less well-known piece of math done. If you have a high tolerance for pain, get a statement of the Lefshetz fixed point theorem tattooed across your chest.

The ladies love that. Trust me.

i considered getting an equation for a tattoo before. Probably something I'll never do though. Tattoos and piercings are excellent identity markers.

Excellent identity markers if you die and have your body so deformed that you need to use them as identity markers, at which point you probably won't care, because you're dead.

DeadWolfe said:
Also, you should get a less well-known piece of math done. If you have a high tolerance for pain, get a statement of the Lefshetz fixed point theorem tattooed across your chest.

The ladies love that. Trust me.

haha what women do you know?

Tattoos and piercings are excellent identity markers.

huh?? They're not excellent identity markers when everyone has the same crap.

There are so many people who have equations or chinese letters tattooed on their bodies it's not funny. I'm sure it sounds unique in your (not you specifically by the way) head, but a lot of people have done it.

Then we get on to piercings. None of the modern piercings serve any purpose at all. The ring in the eyebrow makes you look like a tool, and same goes for the ring through the bottom lip and through your tongue. No offence guys :biggrin: :biggrin:

So if it isn't aesthetically pleasing to others then what other purpose is there?

I'd get
[tex]\ell(D) - \ell(K-D) = \deg (D) + 1 - g[/tex]
instead.

Much cooler IMO. :tongue2:

big man said:
If you are really wanting people to see something that you consider to look cool then just print the design on a t-shirt.

Maybe something like this?

witty_200.png

Buy http://xkcd.com/store/" !

Last edited by a moderator:
Gelsamel Epsilon said:
Excellent identity markers if you die and have your body so deformed that you need to use them as identity markers, at which point you probably won't care, because you're dead.

There's plenty of political, legal, and paranoid-schozophrenic reasons why certain persons would want to keep their physical identity malleable while you're still alive.

But mostly schizophrenic*.

*Multiple disassociative personalitity disorder

I heard an interesting point of view a few weeks ago: so many people have tattoos now that having no tattoos is the new tattoo.

I agree with shmoe, go with [tex] e^{i \pi}+1=0 [/tex] if you must get a tattoo, but I agree with some of the others in that tattoos are silly.

How about the Navier Stokes equations? They'd look much more impressive.

I saw a girl last night with a pierced cleavage. Looked very strange, like she'd been bitten by a vampire with a couple of ball bearings on his teeth.

zoobyshoe said:
I heard an interesting point of view a few weeks ago: so many people have tattoos now that having no tattoos is the new tattoo.

A clever "body artist" would start marketing "Invisible Tattoos"... :biggrin:

UV Inks and Math Tattoo

I am a (lowly) carpenter myself and I was thinking of getting several mathematical theories tattooed on my left arm. But I too worry about what "society" thinks as I run a corporation and require respect from my peers. It's hard to be taken seriously with a tattoo. Especially Harley Davidson and flying eagles and the like. I am however considering using a UV Ink that is only detectable under "Black light".. this however defeats the purpose of having all my complex angle and other "carpentry" related tattoos. If I can't see them, I can't use them.
But f you want a tattoo that only you can see... I recommend UV inks from
www.blacklight-tattoo-ink.com

I have several tattoo's and learned with my first tattoo, drunk soldiers don't always know what they want. I have since had that one removed (at more than triple the cost of getting it) If you do get a tattoo take grusel's advice and get something meaningful to you or your profession. Had I succumed to the over whelming temptation to have my first wife's face tatt'd on my back I may not have been able to con my current love into marriage. When I passed adv calc I was going to celebrate by getting,

"for a function f: A -> R and L >= 0
|f(x)-f(y)| =< L|x-y| for all x,y belonging to A"

When I was explaining it to my wife (a woman with multiple tattoo's herself) she kindly pointed out how difficult it would be to point out the hilliarity behind the tat to my yet unborn son, let alone my preteen daughter. Go wisely into the inked world young jedi, make not defacement decisions hastely, for you know not what grief may come of it.

brewnog said:
I saw a girl last night with a pierced cleavage. Looked very strange, like she'd been bitten by a vampire with a couple of ball bearings on his teeth.

pierced cleavage or nipple?

on topic: I personally don't like the idea of a permanent drawing on my skin, as cool as it may seem at a certain time in one's life, I'm sure one day will come when it won't seem so awesome. Plus, when you're old and wrinkly it's bound to be kind of strange looking.

rocketboy said:
pierced cleavage or nipple?

Probably cleavage. Face it, we're scientists and engineers. We don't get to see the good parts.

on topic: I personally don't like the idea of a permanent drawing on my skin, as cool as it may seem at a certain time in one's life, I'm sure one day will come when it won't seem so awesome. Plus, when you're old and wrinkly it's bound to be kind of strange looking.

Sort of the same with me. I'm too indecisive. One day I want one in green, the next day in red, etc. I don't think I can come up with something that would define me for the rest of my life.

Poop-Loops said:
Probably cleavage. Face it, we're scientists and engineers. We don't get to see the good parts.

one can dream...

Some of my patients have their labia or penis pierced and it shows up on their xrays. A real toe-curler in the ER - not to mention a few behind-the-hand snickers. :wink: The problem with those is the strong possibility of a real nasty infection. The people with the tongue-bars often end up with thrush. Not fun.

What do you guys think of this one?

http://student.aaue.dk/~dof1417/airplane-equation.jpg

I'm a pilot, plus I like math.

Edit: Maybe this one is better:

a43d111a2ba8f5c003b453e5a36556d8.png

Tsu said:
Some of my patients have their labia or penis pierced and it shows up on their xrays. A real toe-curler in the ER - not to mention a few behind-the-hand snickers. :wink: The problem with those is the strong possibility of a real nasty infection. The people with the tongue-bars often end up with thrush. Not fun.

And they better tell the tech before they go in for an MRI!

Yeah, poking holes in the skin in places that are hard to keep clean and bacteria free is not really a good idea. I had enough trouble with earrings (left the holes to close because they kept getting infected).

I don't quite understand getting tattoos either. I just think of things I thought were so great when I was younger and how I think they're so childish or stupid now, and can't imagine being able to choose something to permanently print on one's body that wouldn't lose its appeal in a decade or two. I realize this is an old thread, but a point made early on seems like a good one...put it on a t-shirt! I really like that idea, actually, for anyone thinking about a tattoo. Get a t-shirt with that design on it, wear it around a lot, see if you get any sort of comments or reactions like you would anticipate, and if you tire of it after a while. If everyone thinks it's great/hilarious/amazing, etc, and you still enjoy explaining it after a year or so, and still like the design, maybe then you would consider the tattoo, otherwise, stick to t-shirts.

Tsu said:

ouch...ouch...ouch...why the heck would anybody do that...?

1. Can you explain the significance of a math equation tattoo?

The significance of a math equation tattoo varies depending on the individual. For some, it may represent their love for math and problem-solving. For others, it may have a personal meaning related to a specific equation that holds significance in their life.

2. What are some popular math equations used in tattoos?

Some popular math equations used in tattoos include the Pythagorean Theorem, the Fibonacci sequence, and Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. However, the equation chosen for a tattoo is ultimately up to the individual's personal preference.

3. Are there any risks associated with getting a math equation tattoo?

As with any tattoo, there is a risk of infection or allergic reaction. It is important to choose a reputable tattoo artist and follow proper aftercare instructions to minimize these risks. Additionally, some people may regret their tattoo in the future if their feelings towards math change.

4. Can a math equation tattoo be customized or personalized?

Yes, a math equation tattoo can be customized or personalized to make it more unique and meaningful to the individual. This can include adding personal elements or symbols, changing the font or design, or incorporating colors.

5. What are some other factors to consider before getting a math equation tattoo?

Some other factors to consider before getting a math equation tattoo include the size and placement of the tattoo, as well as the pain level and potential for fading over time. It is also important to think carefully about the equation chosen and make sure it accurately represents the intended message or meaning.