I need a good thinking trivia question for my Math club

• Thread starter matt000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the speaker is looking for practice problems to help them prepare for a precalculus level class. They mention a past experience with solving equations and express a desire for similar problems. They also request an answer or solution to the provided code, mentioning that it calculates the date of Easter.
matt000
I'm doing this for extra credit for my teacher and I have NO IDEA where to get any problems.
In the past, my friends did... something like a = b (long lines of equation) and we had to find what's wrong. It took a while, but the club got it.
I want something like that. It can be at around prerecalculus level. I don't know what to think of ... :frown:

Please help me...

THANK YOU!

EDIT:: (I'll need an answer with it also if possible, or the work, thank you so much)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a fun one:
What does this code generate?

c = y / 100
n = y - 19 * ( y / 19 )
k = ( c - 17 ) / 25
i = c - c / 4 - ( c - k ) / 3 + 19 * n + 15
i = i - 30 * ( i / 30 )
i = i - ( i / 28 ) * ( 1 - ( i / 28 ) * ( 29 / ( i + 1 ) )
* ( ( 21 - n ) / 11 ) )
j = y + y / 4 + i + 2 - c + c / 4
j = j - 7 * ( j / 7 )
l = i - j
m = 3 + ( l + 40 ) / 44
d = l + 28 - 31 * ( m / 4 )

is the answer zero ?

crude, i forgot to say I'll need an answer also ! sorry for the trouble again. Thank you for the question thought, I'll probably use it.

:rofl: You want the answer! No, it is not zero.

I was able to figure out this when it was presented to me. What got me on the right track was realizing that y must stand for year. Try starting with a year, go through the calculations...

It calculates the date of Easter.

1. What is a good source for finding thinking trivia questions for a Math club?

The best source for finding thinking trivia questions for a Math club is to search online for websites or books specifically dedicated to mathematical trivia. You can also consult with other Math teachers or join online forums to get ideas from fellow educators.

2. How can I make sure the thinking trivia question is appropriate for all levels of Math club members?

One way to ensure that the thinking trivia question is appropriate for all levels is to make it open-ended and allow for multiple approaches to solving it. This way, students of different levels can use their own unique strategies to come up with the answer.

3. Is it important to provide hints or clues for the thinking trivia question?

It depends on the difficulty level of the question and the audience of the Math club. For younger students or beginners, providing hints or clues can make the question more approachable and less intimidating. However, for more advanced students, it may be more challenging and engaging to have a question without any hints.

4. How can I make the thinking trivia question fun and engaging for the Math club?

One way to make the thinking trivia question fun and engaging is to tie it into pop culture or current events. You can also make it a team competition or include a prize for the winner. Another idea is to make the question hands-on or interactive, such as using manipulatives or technology.

5. Are there any guidelines for creating a good thinking trivia question for a Math club?

Some guidelines for creating a good thinking trivia question for a Math club include making it relevant to the subject matter, challenging but not too difficult, and allowing for multiple approaches to solving it. It should also be clear and concise, and encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.