Implicit Differentiation: How to Find the Derivative of an Unknown Function?

In summary, the discussion revolves around finding the derivative of y with respect to x in two equations: xy = 25 and x^2 + 3xy + y^2 = 15. After applying the product rule and using the chain rule correctly, the correct solution is determined to be y' = -y/x.
cd246

Homework Statement

I just got started on this, and am not grasping the WHOLE idea.
1.xy=25 The answer says -y/x
2.x^2+3xy+y^2=15 And this says -y^2/x^2

Homework Equations

1. dy/dx(xy)= dy/dx(25)
1=0 ?
2.dy/dx x^2+3xy+y^2= dy/dx 15
2x+3+y(dy/dx) =0

The Attempt at a Solution

2. -2x-3/y (which i know is not right.)

Physics news on Phys.org
cd246 said:

Homework Statement

I just got started on this, and am not grasping the WHOLE idea.
1.xy=25 The answer says -y/x
2.x^2+3xy+y^2=15 And this says -y^2/x^2

Homework Equations

1. dy/dx(xy)= dy/dx(25)
1=0 ?
2.dy/dx x^2+3xy+y^2= dy/dx 15
2x+3+y(dy/dx) =0

The Attempt at a Solution

2. -2x-3/y (which i know is not right.)

The basic idea is this: Consider y as a function of x.

For example, you have x times y(x) = 25.

Now differentiate both sides with respect to x. You may use the chain rule on the product x times y(x).

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} ( x y(x)) = \frac{d}{dx} (25) [/tex]

Apply the chain rule, take the derivatives and then isolate dy/dx.

I don't know if I got this right.
I used the product rule: (x)(y(x))'+(x)'(y(x)) and for derivitive of y(x), I used the
chain rule to find the derivitive. And got(x)(1*x*x)+(x)(y(x)). -> x^3+xy(x)d/dx=0 What else am I doing wrong?

cd246 said:
I don't know if I got this right.
I used the product rule: (x)(y(x))'+(x)'(y(x)) and for derivitive of y(x), I used the
chain rule to find the derivitive. And got(x)(1*x*x)+(x)(y(x)). -> x^3+xy(x)d/dx=0 What else am I doing wrong?

You can't use the chain rule to find the derivative of y(x) since it's an unknown function. Just leave it as [itex] y' [/itex]! Now, using (x)' = 1, you get

y + x y' = 0 so y' = -y/x

It's that simple!

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of a single variable. It is commonly used in cases where the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when finding the derivative of an equation that cannot be solved for a single variable, or when the equation contains multiple variables. It is also useful in situations where the equation is too complex to solve using other methods.

3. How is implicit differentiation carried out?

To use implicit differentiation, we first differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest. Then, we solve for the derivative of the dependent variable by collecting all terms that contain the derivative on one side and all other terms on the other side. Finally, we simplify and solve for the derivative.

4. What are the benefits of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of an equation that cannot be solved for a single variable, making it a powerful tool in calculus. It also allows us to easily find the derivative of equations with multiple variables or complex expressions.

5. Are there any limitations to implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation can only be used for functions that are differentiable. This means that the function must have a derivative at every point on its graph. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for finding derivatives and may require more steps than other techniques.