A spherical iron ball covered with ice

In summary: Solve for w:\alpha_i_c_e = 4\pi (16 + 8w + w^2)\alpha_i_c_e = 64\pi + 32\pi w + 4\pi w^2Differentiate with respect to V:\frac{d\alpha_i_c_e}{dV} = 8\pi w + \frac{8\pi}{w}Plug in the value of w:\frac{d\alpha_i_c_e}{dt} = 8\pi(2) + \frac{8\pi}{2} = 16\pi +
inferi
hi everyone this is a related rates question no one in the class could solve it. I could not find how to find the equation that relate all the things in the question.the question is:

A spherical iron ball 8 in. in diameter is coated with a layer of ice of uniform thickness. If the ice melts at the rate of 10 in^3/min, answer the following questions.

(a) How fast is the thickness of the ice decreasing when the ice is 2 in. thick?

(b) How fast is the outer surface area of the ice decreasing?

anyone can help?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The volume of a sphere with respect to the radius is [tex]V=(\frac{4\pi}{3})r^3[/tex]. Solve for [tex]r[/tex] then differentiate with respect to time.
b) The surface area of a sphere with respect to the radius is [tex]\alpha=4\pi r^2[/tex]. Write the surface area in terms of the volume and again, differentiate with respect to time.

EDIT: I just re-read the problem and the fact that the ice is melting, not the iron-ball, changes the way you should consider the 2 in. thickness of the ball. The radius of the iron-ball (4 in.) should be added to 2 in. ice to find the rate.

Last edited:
is the answer for this one 1/14.4 cm/min? ^^

a) You must realize that the rate of melting given is not for the iron ball + ice... It is only for the ice. Write a formula for [tex]V_i_c_e[/tex], given the total radius [tex]r_b_a_l_l_+_i_c_e[/tex] is [tex]4 + w[/tex]; when [tex]w[/tex] is the width (thickness) of the ice. Then differentiate with respect to time.
b) This is a bit more complicated. Again, start with the formula for surface area, [tex]\alpha=4\pi (4 + w)^2[/tex]. Solve for [tex]w[/tex] with respect to [tex]V[/tex], then differentiate with respect to time.

PS. Your answer is [tex]\pi[/tex] times greater than the answer.

Last edited:
hmmm. i don't seem to understand ... could you please elaborate a) ? i get the same answer

a)
[tex]V_i_c_e = V_e_n_t_i_r_e _b_a_l_l - V_i_r_o_n = \frac{4\pi}{3}(4+w)^3 - \frac{4\pi}{3}(4)^3 = \frac{4\pi}{3}((4+w)^3 - (4)^3)[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to time:
[tex]\frac{dV_i_c_e}{dt} = \frac{4\pi}{3}(3(4+w)^2\frac{dw}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]-10 = \frac{4\pi}{3}(3(4+2)^2\frac{dw}{dt})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dw}{dt} = -\frac{5}{72\pi} = -\frac{1}{45.2389342} = -0.0221048532\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

What is the purpose of covering an iron ball with ice?

The purpose of covering an iron ball with ice is to simulate the conditions of a planet or moon with an icy surface. This can help scientists better understand the properties and behavior of these celestial bodies.

How is the spherical iron ball covered with ice created?

The spherical iron ball covered with ice is created through a process called cryogenic freezing. This involves cooling the iron ball to very low temperatures, typically below -100°C, and then spraying it with water or another liquid that will freeze on contact.

What are the potential uses of a spherical iron ball covered with ice in scientific research?

A spherical iron ball covered with ice can be used in various scientific research, such as studying the effects of impact craters on icy surfaces, testing the strength and durability of ice structures, and studying the behavior of ice under extreme conditions.

What challenges do scientists face when working with a spherical iron ball covered with ice?

One of the main challenges when working with a spherical iron ball covered with ice is maintaining a consistent temperature. Any fluctuations in temperature can affect the integrity of the ice and alter the results of the experiment. Additionally, working with cryogenic materials also requires specialized equipment and safety precautions.

How does a spherical iron ball covered with ice help us understand the potential for life on other planets?

By studying the behavior of ice on a spherical iron ball, scientists can gain insights into the potential for life on other planets or moons with icy surfaces. This can help us understand the conditions necessary for life to exist and develop a better understanding of the diversity of life in the universe.