Why can't time-varying EM fields exist in a perfect conductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time-varying electromagnetic fields in conductors and how it relates to solving electromagnetic wave problems. The confusion arises when trying to apply this concept to a transformer with an iron core, where the changing current creates a changing magnetic field. However, due to the high conductivity of iron, it was believed that no electromagnetic field should exist within it. The explanation for this is the skin effect, which causes the magnetic field to rapidly decrease with penetration into the iron. This is why transformers are made with laminated iron cores, to reduce eddy currents and increase the amount of flux carried.
Very curious
I understand that according to Maxwell's equations time-varying EM fields cannot exist in a perfect conductor (but static magnetic fields can). Also if you have a time-varying magnetic field you also have time-varying electric field and vice versa. And this knowledge is used to solve EM wave problems by fixing boundary conditions between conductor and dielectric mediums.

However, I get confused/baffled when I try to apply this boundary condition (that time-varying EM fields cannot exist in a conductor) to a transformer with iron core. I understand that a changing current creates a changing magnetic field (by Ampere's law?), which I assume is equivalent to a time-varying magnetic field, in the iron core.

Now, since the core is a good conductor shouldn't there be no EM field within it? But then, this would imply no time-varying flux within the iron core and transformer cannot work, which is obviously not true. Could someone kindly help me reconcile these two examples? Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In iron, the magnetic field falls off rapidly with penetration so that
[tex] |B|=\mu H_0 \exp[-z/2\delta][/tex], where
[tex]\delta=c/\sqrt{8\pi\mu\sigma\omega}[/tex] (in gaussian units) is the
"skin depth". An integral of this B gives the flux.

Last edited:
Pam, thank you. Your answer may explain why the transformers are made of laminated iron cores. I just assumed the lamination was to reduce eddy currents but I guess it also is a way to get around skin effect of single core to carry more flux. One more thing, within the skin depth, the time varying E field exists also, right? I guess making transformers with superconductor cores may not be a good idea.

pam said:
In iron, the magnetic field falls off rapidly with penetration so that
[tex] |B|=\mu H_0 \exp[-z/2\delta][/tex], where
[tex]\delta=c/\sqrt{8\pi\mu\sigma\omega}[/tex] (in gaussian units) is the
"skin depth". An integral of this B gives the flux.

Pam,
You make a good point about the problem with iron. Because of this, most transformer and motor laminations are made of silicon steel (often grain oriented), or cobalt alloys, or nickel alloys which, among other benefits, significantly raise the resistivity of the metal.

1. What is EM: Transformer confusion?

EM: Transformer confusion is a phenomenon in which the electromagnetic fields produced by different devices or sources interfere with each other, causing confusion or malfunctioning of the devices.

2. What causes EM: Transformer confusion?

EM: Transformer confusion is caused by the interaction of electromagnetic fields from different sources. For example, two devices emitting similar frequencies can create interference that affects their functioning.

3. Can EM: Transformer confusion be harmful?

In most cases, EM: Transformer confusion is not harmful. However, it can cause malfunctions in electronic devices and disrupt communication systems, which can lead to inconvenience and financial losses.

4. How can EM: Transformer confusion be prevented?

EM: Transformer confusion can be prevented by using devices and systems that have been tested for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). This means that they have been designed to limit the interference they produce and are less susceptible to external interference.

5. What should I do if I suspect EM: Transformer confusion?

If you suspect EM: Transformer confusion, you should first identify the source of the interference and try to move the devices away from each other. If the problem persists, you may need to consult a professional who can assess the situation and provide a solution, such as using filters or shielding materials to reduce the interference.