Help! My Hard Disk is Damaged: How Can I Recover My Important Data?

• Thread starter maria12360
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Hard
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a problem with their computer's hard disk after it hanged while copying a file. Attempts to use a Windows XP installation CD have failed and the BIOS cannot detect the hard disk. The speaker suspects the disk is damaged and has important company data on it. Other speakers suggest trying to access the data from another computer or using a USB caddy, but warn that data recovery can be expensive. Some suggest DIY methods such as cooling the hard drive in a freezer or swapping out the circuit board, but others caution against this and advise seeking professional help. The speaker also shares their own experience of successfully fixing a hard drive issue by repositioning it. However, it is advised to avoid using the hard drive if there
maria12360
Help me….my hard disk is damaged!

Hi everyone , I am employed as a manager in a firm. I have a problem that I had like to talk about. My system was working fine the other day, but while copying a file by nero….the system hanged and I had to restart it. But I got a disk boot failure error. Then , I tried to run a windows xp installation CD, but that is also showing some error message during installation and the installation fails.I did check the bios settings and the disk fails to show…and had it checked on another system also…but bios cannot detect the hard disk.I think the disk is damaged or something like that.The disk has important data from my company’s point of view…..that I need to recover.
Please let me know if there are any ways to get my data back from this disk!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Can you tell if the disks are spinning?

IDE SCSI SATA?

Was it a primary boot drive with an OS on it? The first thing i'd try to do is put it in another computer as a secondary or slave and see if you could pull data from it. Like montoyas said, can you hear it spinning at all?

If the data on the disk is valuable you should take the disk to a data recovery company.

If it is still spinning I recommend (as I always do) a USB caddy. It worked for me.

zeitghost said:
If the data on the disk is valuable you should take the disk to a data recovery company.

A large corporation that I once worked for had an employee that accidentally deleted critical information from a server hard drive. Just for recovery of deleted information, it was going to cost $2,000 or more. And that's not even dealing with a damaged drive. The company didn't consider the information worth two grand, so they just started over.

B. Elliott said:
A large corporation that I once worked for had an employee that accidentally deleted critical information from a server hard drive. Just for recovery of deleted information, it was going to cost $2,000 or more. And that's not even dealing with a damaged drive. The company didn't consider the information worth two grand, so they just started over.

YMMV :biggrin:

Depends on how much you value your data.

Assuming it is spinning, i'd just check your connections if you're getting a disk boot failure error. Sometimes they can become loose due to vibrations etc inside the case (I've had to refix my SATA cables back to my hdd and motherboard a couple of times in the past few years!)

Failing that, i'd say the drive has failed.. most likely the disc read head. Normally with HDDs it's very clear cut.

It sucks to loose data, good luck!

Whoops, I need to read better before posting. My deepest apologies.

You might check with your tech support guys, but I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that cooling down the hdd might allow a seized head or motor bearing to become temporarily operational. Again, check with someone who definitely knows what they're doing before any attempt.

Yes there is, and no it does not costs 2000,$. Its going to cost around 400-600$.

Or another way is to find a hard drive of the same make/exact model and swap the reader circuit.
and another homemade way is to put the hardrive in a ziplock bag and into the freezer for the night, wake up next morning, plug it in, should give you about 20 mins. to copy and paste your data in another place.

This method does not works everytimt though !

hot_sauce said:
Yes there is, and no it does not costs 2000,$. Its going to cost around 400-600$.

Or another way is to find a hard drive of the same make/exact model and swap the reader circuit.
and another homemade way is to put the hardrive in a ziplock bag and into the freezer for the night, wake up next morning, plug it in, should give you about 20 mins. to copy and paste your data in another place.

This method does not works everytimt though !

I never said it was going to cost $2000. $2K is what were were quoted for complete recovery of multiple drives in an array. There is also not just one company out there that services everyone and they are definably not all of the same standard.

Due to the information provided by the OP, I would not recommend attempting to swap out the drives circuit board as they may cause more damage than what their dealing with. Leave that up to a someone with experience especially since the data is of value and this is not his personal drive.

Last edited:
I have a few things I would try. I had hard drive problems and I needed the data. The hard drive was hanging out of my computer and I actually stood it up and repositions it so it was standing and it worked. This leads me to believe the problem was most likely the motor and rotation part on my hard drive that was whack.

DON'T USE IT

If the drive is pysically damaged, the more you use it the greater chance you have of making it worse. Turn your computer off, and seek help from a local professional or guru.

1. What are the signs that my hard disk is damaged?

The most common signs of a damaged hard disk include slow performance, frequent crashes or freezes, strange noises coming from the computer, and error messages related to disk failures.

2. Can a damaged hard disk be repaired?

It depends on the extent of the damage. Some minor issues can be fixed by running disk repair tools, but more severe damage may require professional help or even replacement of the hard disk.

3. How can I recover data from a damaged hard disk?

If the hard disk is still functional, you may be able to recover data by using data recovery software. If the disk is completely damaged, you may need to seek professional data recovery services, although there is no guarantee of success.

4. What causes a hard disk to become damaged?

There are several possible causes of hard disk damage, including physical damage from dropping or mishandling the computer, power surges or outages, corrupted files or software, or simply wear and tear over time.

5. How can I prevent my hard disk from getting damaged?

To prevent hard disk damage, make sure to handle your computer with care, use a surge protector, regularly back up important data, and keep your operating system and antivirus software up to date. It is also recommended to avoid using your computer in extreme temperatures or environments with high levels of dust or moisture.