Capacitance of parallet plate with dielectric spheres in between

In summary, the capacitance of a system consisting of parallel plates and dielectric spheres can be calculated using the formula c = permittivity*dielectric*area/distance. For spheres, the capacitance will vary depending on the diameter at different locations. To simplify the calculation, using square dielectrics can be helpful. However, measuring the capacitance may be easier in this situation.
amisha
I want to calculate the capacitance of a system consisting a parallel plate and dielectric spheres of different radius and dielectric strength in between the plates.
please give some mathematical derivation.
I really need to know it,my career depends on it.
Please help me.
:)
thanks & regards
ruhi

Physics news on Phys.org
capacitance in parallel is same as resistor in series and vice versa.
c = permittivity*dielectric*area/distance

If you have a sphere, it will be an integration of series of capacitance depending on the diameter of the sphere at different location. At the tip of the sphere, the dielectric distance/space is less compared to the middle of the sphere. For example if you had a circle, the diameter maybe say 1m, but it is not 1m x 1m. Instead it is 1m diameter but as you cut and move along the circle, it becomes 0.99m,0.98m,0.979999m etc.

For start, i suggest using a square dielectric. Take 3 squares, with 2 of them being the same length but 1/2 the length of the first one. Put the 2 smaller square in series (next to each other). Stack the bigger square on top of them. The circuit will look just like 2 resistor in series parallel with the other.

This might be a situation where doing a measurement is much easier than doing the calculation.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge when a potential difference is applied. It is measured in Farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C.

2. How does capacitance change when dielectric spheres are placed between parallel plates?

The capacitance increases when dielectric spheres are placed between parallel plates. This is because the dielectric material has a higher permittivity than air, which allows for more charge to be stored on the plates.

3. How does the distance between the plates and the size of the spheres affect the capacitance?

The capacitance is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates and the permittivity of the dielectric material, and inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates decreases or the size of the spheres increases, the capacitance increases.

4. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of parallel plates with dielectric spheres in between?

The formula is C = (ε * A)/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. How can the capacitance be increased in this system?

The capacitance can be increased by using a dielectric material with a higher permittivity, decreasing the distance between the plates, or increasing the surface area of the plates. Additionally, multiple layers of dielectric spheres can be added between the plates to further increase the capacitance.