Linear Momentum & CM: Moving Entire System or CM?

In summary: In other words, the center of mass always moves in a straight line under the action of gravity and the floor.In summary, the center of mass of a system moves when the system is subjected to a force that opposes the movement of the center of mass.
Eric [Tsu]
As an example, if you raise your arms in front of you, your center of mass will move slightly forward. However, you would not fall down because your feet's platform won't allow it. Does this constitute linear momentum, or does the entire system need to move in order to have linear momentum?

In other words, is linear momentum defined as the movement of a systems center of mass or of the entire system? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
18 views and no answer!?

I'm not too sure about this, but i think its the movement of the center of mass. I say this because if you throw a spinning object in a projectile, it moves along the center of its mass. Even when you drop something, and it's spinning, it's center of mass will draw a straight line in perfect conditions.

And since our calculations do not require any "conversion" of the center of mass to the whole linear system, i think that linear momentum is defined as the movement of the system's center of mass.

Heh, i might be wrong though, just what i think.

Eric [Tsu];1794778 said:
18 views and no answer!?

Only an hour and 14 minutes and you're complaining? :bugeye:

More seriously,

is linear momentum defined as the movement of a systems center of mass or of the entire system?

The linear momentum of a system is defined as the sum of the linear momenta of its parts. It can be proven to be equal to the mass of the system times the velocity of the center of mass:

[tex]\sum {m_i {\vec v}_i} = M {\vec v}_{cm}[/tex]

where

[tex]M = \sum {m_i}[/tex]

In your example, while you are raising your arms, your center of mass moves, and your total momentum is nonzero.

Last edited:
So, would the body in my original example have linear momentum? With the external force preventing the motion being the platform of the feet?

Eric [Tsu];1795602 said:
So, would the body in my original example have linear momentum? With the external force preventing the motion being the platform of the feet?
If you raise your arms in front of you while standing on a frictionless surface, your center of mass will not move since there would be no external force to move it (your feet would slide backwards a bit). Of course the friction of the ground against your feet does provide such a force, which gives you some linear momentum--albeit briefly. Friction in the opposite direction will quickly bring you back to zero momentum.

For simplicity, assume you move your arms so the center of mass moves only vertically.

While you begin to raise your arms and your center of mass accelerates upward, the upward force exerted by the floor on your feet increases so that the net force on your body (gravity plus floor) is nonzero and upward. This net force is what produces the acceleration of your center of mass.

While you stop raising your arms and your center of mass decelerates to a stop at its final position, the force exerted by the floor on your feet decreases so that the net force on your body is nonzero and downward. This net force is what produces the deceleration of your center of mass.

At other times (before, afterwards, and while the center of mass is moving upward at constant speed) the upward force exerted by the floor has its normal value so the net force is zero.

1. What is linear momentum and how is it related to the center of mass?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. The center of mass is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. The linear momentum of a system and the motion of its center of mass are directly related, as the total linear momentum of a system is equal to the mass of the system multiplied by the velocity of its center of mass.

2. When should I consider the motion of the entire system versus just the center of mass?

The motion of the entire system should be considered when there are external forces acting on the system, as these forces can change the motion of the system as a whole. However, if there are no external forces acting on the system, the motion of the center of mass will remain unchanged, making it a useful reference point for analyzing the system's motion.

3. How does the conservation of linear momentum apply to the motion of a system?

The law of conservation of linear momentum states that the total linear momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total linear momentum of a system will remain constant and the center of mass will continue to move at a constant velocity.

4. What is an example of a system where the center of mass does not move in a straight line?

An example of a system where the center of mass does not move in a straight line is a pendulum. As the pendulum swings, the center of mass follows a curved path due to the changing direction of the force of gravity. However, the total linear momentum of the system remains constant, with the pendulum bob moving faster when it is closer to the bottom of its swing and slower when it is at the top.

5. Can the center of mass of a system be located outside of the physical object?

Yes, the center of mass of a system can be located outside of the physical object. This can occur when there are multiple objects with different masses and positions within the system. The center of mass will be located at a point that represents the average position of all the mass in the system, and this point may not necessarily fall within any of the physical objects in the system.