Mirror Reflection: Seeing Double?

In summary: As you move up or down, you see yourself in front, behind, and all around you.In summary, when standing in the middle of two identical mirrors placed next to each other on the same surface at the same level, you will see multiple reflections of yourself due to the mirrors not being perfectly parallel. This creates a curving effect and can be seen in places like barber shops and elevators with mirrored walls.
cookiecrunch9
Hello all,

I have a quick question. If i put two identical mirrors right next to each other on the same surface at the same level and stand in the middle of it will i see two of me or will it act like looking myself if that mirror was one single piece.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
cookiecrunch9 said:
Hello all,

I have a quick question. If i put two identical mirrors right next to each other on the same surface at the same level and stand in the middle of it will i see two of me or will it act like looking myself if that mirror was one single piece.

Thanks!
You mean one mirror in front of you and one behind? If they are perfectly parallel, you'll see one reflection in each mirror but only if all the other copies of you are completely eclipsed by the one in front. If you lifted your arm and waved at yourself, you'd see an inifinite regression of arms waving - to the limit of the mirrors reflectivity.

You see this all the time in barber shops.

My favorite local pizza restaurant (where I spend too much time to be good for my waistline) has mirrors on facing walls. The mirrors are not quite parallel, so I see a sequence of many images, gradually curving upward until they "disappear" beyond the top edge of the mirrors.

jtbell said:
My favorite local pizza restaurant (where I spend too much time to be good for my waistline) has mirrors on facing walls. The mirrors are not quite parallel, so I see a sequence of many images, gradually curving upward until they "disappear" beyond the top edge of the mirrors.
Yep. In reality, the mirrors are rarely parallel, creating this curving effect.

Another common place: elevators with mirrored walls.

What is mirror reflection?

Mirror reflection is the phenomenon of light bouncing off a surface and traveling back to the observer, creating an image of an object in the mirror.

Why do objects appear reversed in a mirror?

Objects appear reversed in a mirror because the light rays reflecting off the object bounce off the mirror at an angle, causing them to cross and create a flipped image.

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that when light rays hit a reflective surface, the angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle).

Why do mirrors appear to make objects appear farther away?

Mirrors do not actually make objects appear farther away, but they create the illusion of depth by reflecting the image of the object as if it were behind the mirror's surface.

Can mirrors create multiple reflections?

Yes, mirrors can create multiple reflections if they are placed at certain angles and there are multiple reflective surfaces. This is known as an infinity mirror effect.