What is the force keeping a twirling mass from falling due to gravity?

In summary, the force keeping the mass from falling due to gravity when it is twirled on a string horizontally is the tension, specifically the vertical component of tension. This balances the weight of the mass and prevents it from falling.
Mattowander
Hello! I'm very new to these forums so please pardon my ignorance.

When you twirl a mass on a string horizontally (I.E. you hold a string with a mass on the end of it and spin around) , what is the force keeping the mass from falling due to gravity? I'm a little curious and I can't seem to understand this. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension.

I thought the tension acted perp. to the object's weight?

Mattowander said:
Hello! I'm very new to these forums so please pardon my ignorance.

When you twirl a mass on a string horizontally (I.E. you hold a string with a mass on the end of it and spin around) , what is the force keeping the mass from falling due to gravity? I'm a little curious and I can't seem to understand this. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

The vertical component of tension.

CS

Ah alright thank you! :)

The mass will never be traveling in a completely horizontal path, there will be a finite vertical component as mentioned above to oppose the force from gravity

NoobixCube said:
The mass will never be traveling in a completely horizontal path, there will be a finite vertical component as mentioned above to oppose the force from gravity
I think you meant to say that the string will never be completely horizontal--thus there will always be a vertical component of tension to balance the weight. (The mass can certainly travel in a perfectly horizontal path.)

1. What is the physics behind twirling a mass on a string?

The physics behind twirling a mass on a string involves the concepts of centripetal force and angular momentum. The centripetal force is the inward force that keeps the mass moving in a circular path, while the angular momentum is the measure of the mass's rotational motion. As the string is twirled, the centripetal force acts perpendicular to the string, causing the mass to move in a circular motion.

2. How does the mass affect the twirling motion?

The mass of the object being twirled affects the twirling motion in two ways. Firstly, the greater the mass, the more force is needed to maintain the circular motion. Secondly, the mass affects the speed of the rotation, with a heavier mass requiring more force to achieve the same rotation speed as a lighter mass.

3. What happens when the string is shortened or lengthened?

When the string is shortened, the radius of the circular motion decreases, causing the speed of the rotation to increase. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where the smaller radius requires a higher speed to maintain the same amount of angular momentum. Conversely, when the string is lengthened, the radius increases and the speed of rotation decreases.

4. How does the angle of the string affect the motion?

The angle of the string affects the direction of the centripetal force and the resulting motion. If the string is held at a horizontal angle, the force will act downward, causing the mass to move in a circular path parallel to the ground. However, if the string is held at an angle, the motion will be more elliptical rather than circular.

5. What other factors can affect the twirling motion?

Other factors that can affect the twirling motion include the length and flexibility of the string, as well as any external forces acting on the mass. Additionally, air resistance can also play a role in the motion, as it can slow down the rotation speed and cause the mass to eventually come to a stop.