Charged inductor with no discharge path?

In summary, when a wire is wrapped around a piece of iron to create an inductor in a simple DC circuit, a steady magnetic field is formed when there is a flow of current. Removing the power supply and replacing it with a wire causes the magnetic field to collapse, resulting in a current flowing in the opposite direction. If the discharge path is not ideal, such as when the wire is cut, a large back EMF can occur, causing a spark and neutralizing the inductor. If there is no spark, the EMF will first charge the inductor before neutralizing it with a back current pulse.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Suppose I have a simple DC circuit. If I wrap the wire around a piece of iron, I create an inductor. Having a steady flow of current creates a steady magnetic field around the piece of iron. If I remove the power supply and put a wire in its place, the magnetic field will collapse and send a current back in the opposite direction of the current which created the field.

What happens if I don't have a nice discharge path? What if I charged the inductor then cut the wire? The field still collapses, but where does my current/voltage go?

Physics news on Phys.org
For DC current, the inductor will have a current, but only a small voltage, due to its resistance, across it. When you cut the wires, a large back EMF will be applied as the magnetic field collapses. This could institute a spark whose current will end the voltage due to the EMF. This is what you notice sometimes when you remove a plug.
If there is no spark, the EMF will first cause a current pulse in the inductor that will charge the ends, followed by a back current pulse that neutralizes the inductor.

If there is no discharge path for the charged inductor, the current and voltage will continue to circulate within the inductor until it finds a path to dissipate. This can potentially cause damage to the circuit or components if the current and voltage build up to high levels. It is important to always have a discharge path for charged inductors to avoid any potential hazards. In the scenario where the wire is cut after charging the inductor, the current and voltage will still circulate within the inductor, but without a complete circuit, the energy will not be dissipated and will continue to build up until a discharge path is created. This can also lead to potential hazards and damage to the circuit. It is always important to have a complete circuit and a discharge path for any charged inductors to ensure safe and proper functioning of the circuit.

1. What is a charged inductor with no discharge path?

A charged inductor with no discharge path is an inductor that has been charged with electrical energy but does not have a way to release or discharge that energy. This can occur when the inductor is isolated from other components or when there is a break in the circuit.

2. Why is it important to discharge a charged inductor with no discharge path?

Discharging a charged inductor with no discharge path is important because it can prevent damage to the inductor and other components in the circuit. When the inductor is not discharged, the stored energy can cause voltage spikes and potentially harm the circuit.

3. How can a charged inductor with no discharge path be discharged?

A charged inductor with no discharge path can be discharged by connecting a resistor or a short circuit across its terminals. This will allow the stored energy to flow through the resistor or the short circuit and dissipate, thus discharging the inductor.

4. What are the potential dangers of not discharging a charged inductor with no discharge path?

Not discharging a charged inductor with no discharge path can lead to voltage spikes that can damage other components in the circuit. It can also pose a safety hazard to anyone working on the circuit, as the stored energy can cause electric shocks.

5. Can a charged inductor with no discharge path be discharged on its own?

No, a charged inductor with no discharge path cannot be discharged on its own. It requires a path for the stored energy to flow through in order to dissipate. Without a discharge path, the inductor will remain charged until it is manually discharged or until the energy is dissipated through other means, such as through heat or radiation.