Finding Final Velocity [Need Assistance]

In summary, the question asks for the final velocity of a motorcycle traveling at 40 ft/s with an average acceleration of 4 ft/s^(2) for 10 s. The formula to use is vf = v0 + a(t), where vf is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This formula was given after the student posted in the wrong forum and was using the incorrect formula.
pharmguy

Homework Statement

Question: A motorcycle traveling at 40 ft/s is given an average acceleration of 4 ft/s^(2) for 10 s. Find the final velocity.

Homework Equations

Average Velocity= [displacement][/total travel time
]

v= [[x][/2] - [x][/1]][/[t][/2] -[t][/1]]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done my reading on this subject (college book) and went through this in class but for some reason this question stumps me with three given variable data.The way I approached it was put the (4 ft/s^(2)) x (10 s) together which is then 40 ft/s then put the other 40 ft/s together and I would get...0? anyways can someone explain how to approach and solve. Thank You.

40 ft/s - 40 ft/s = 0 ft/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
I replied in your other thread before you posted this one with the formula you used.

You are using the wrong formula and using it incorrectly. That formula calls for two positions (you don't have a final position yet) and two times, to give an average velocity for that period, which is not what you're looking for. You're looking for final velocity. I'll use you as my Latex guinea pig as I've never used it yet (and it looks like you need to learn as well).

This is what you need to use.

vf = v0 + a(t)

where vf is the final velocity
v0 is initial velocity
a is acceleration
t is time

When I got to the Physics Forum I didn't realize I wasn't suppose to post in the Physics General Forum and when I found out yesterday probably after 5 min. of posting it up I thought I deleted it by going to my "PDF" then "unsubscribing it" which I thought I deleted my other post and then I made this post. (Sorry still new to this forum). Anways thanks for the formula because its perfect. We actually didnt get this far in class yet I beleived we stopped at "Average Acceleration". And again thanks for your help!

1. What is the formula for finding final velocity?

The formula for finding final velocity is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do I find final velocity without acceleration?

If there is no acceleration, then the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity. Therefore, Vf = Vi.

3. Can final velocity be negative?

Yes, final velocity can be negative if the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

4. What units are used for final velocity?

Final velocity is usually expressed in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), but it can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph).

5. How does air resistance affect final velocity?

Air resistance can decrease the final velocity of an object by applying a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force increases as the velocity of the object increases, eventually reaching a point where the force is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.