Show that he object moves on an elliptical path

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the conversation is about relating an object's position vector in the xy-plane to the equation of an ellipse. By substituting the components of the position vector into the equation of the ellipse, it is shown that the object moves on an elliptical path. There is no need for additional calculations or complications.
Saladsamurai
Okay then :smile:

Homework Statement

An object moves in the xy-plane such that its position vector is

[tex]\bold{r} = \bold{i}a\cos(\omega t)+\bold{j}b\sin(\omega t) \qquad (1)[/tex]

where a,b, and [itex]\omega[/itex] are constants.

Show that the object moves on the elliptical path

[tex](\frac{x}{a})^2+(\frac{y}{b})^2 =1 \qquad (2)[/tex]

I have never studied ellipses, so I am 'googling' them now as we speak. I can see that (2) resembles the equation of a circle except that it includes a couple of scaling factors 'a' and 'b'.

I am just not sure how to relate (1) and (2) to each other.

Can I get a friendly 'nudge' here?

Thanks!

~Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\bold{r} = \bold{i}a\cos(\omega t)+\bold{j}b\sin(\omega t) = \bold{i}x +\bold{j}y[/tex]

Right?

So [tex]x = a\cos(\omega t), y = b\sin(\omega t) [/tex]

Just plug it into the equation (2) in order for it to hold it must hold for all t.

Feldoh said:
[tex]\bold{r} = \bold{i}a\cos(\omega t)+\bold{j}b\sin(\omega t) = \bold{i}x +\bold{j}y[/tex]

Right?

So [tex]x = a\cos(\omega t), y = b\sin(\omega t) [/tex]

Just plug it into the equation (2) in order for it to hold it must hold for all t.

Right. I thought I was making it more difficult than it is. I don't know why I thought that there was something more to it. Thanks again! :smile:

What is an elliptical path?

An elliptical path is a type of curved path that resembles an oval or egg shape. It is characterized by having two focal points, with the object moving along the path in a way that the sum of the distances from the two focal points remains constant.

How do you show that an object moves on an elliptical path?

To show that an object moves on an elliptical path, you can use Kepler's laws of planetary motion or mathematical equations such as the ellipse equation. These methods involve observing the object's position and velocity over time and analyzing the data to determine if it follows an elliptical path.

What factors affect an object's movement on an elliptical path?

The shape and size of the elliptical path can be affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as any external forces acting on it such as gravity or air resistance. The orientation of the object's initial velocity also plays a role in determining the shape of the elliptical path.

Can an object move on an elliptical path in a vacuum?

Yes, an object can move on an elliptical path in a vacuum. In fact, this is the case for many natural phenomena, such as the orbit of planets around the sun. In the absence of external forces, an object will continue to move along its elliptical path with constant speed and direction.

What are some real-life examples of objects moving on an elliptical path?

Some common examples of objects moving on an elliptical path include planets orbiting around a star, satellites orbiting around the Earth, and comets orbiting around the sun. Other examples include the motion of a pendulum and the swinging of a child on a swing set.