Calculating Force in Parallel Conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force and parallel conductor dynamics. The ampere is defined as a constant current that would produce a force of 2 x 10^–7 Newton per metre of length between two parallel conductors placed 1 m apart in vacuum. The equation used to calculate the current and force between two parallel conductors is F = k \times \frac {I_1 I_2}{d}. The force increases with an increase in current and decreases with an increase in separation. It is unclear whether the increase in force with separation is linear or logarithmic. However, using ratios and proportions, the questions posed can be answered.
voormann
This question actually has nothing to do with homework, since I am not a student, it's simply to satisfy my need for understanding the relationship between force and parallel conductor dynamics..

The ampere is that constant current which, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross-section, and placed 1 m apart in vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force equal to 2 x 10^–7 Newton per metre of length.

I would like to know the equation used to calculate the current and force between 2 straight parallel conductors of infinite length and negligible cross-section, per given length, at a given distance apart in a vacuum.

first I would like to know what precise current in Amperes is required to effect a force of 89,2654465915787 Newtons per 0,84729456 metre of length, if we plug in a new distance between conductors: 0,84729456 metre

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force per unit length on the wires varies as the product of the electrical currents and inversely with their separation. Given the definition of the ampere and using ratios and proportions you should now be able to answer your questions.

The force per unit length on the wires varies as the product of the electrical currents and inversely with their separation. Given the definition of the ampere and using ratios and proportions you should now be able to answer your questions.

thanks!

so the force increases in direct proportion to the increase in current
and decreases as separation increases, is this correct?
is the increase in force with separation linear or logarhithmic?

The magnitude of the force is [tex]F = k \times \frac {I_1 I_2}{d}[/tex] where d is the separation.

Just to add to Tide's post, we have

[tex]F = k\frac{I_{1}I_{2}}{d}[/tex]

where d is the distance and I1 and I2 are the currents carried by the wires. If you have read about Lorentz Force and Magnetic Fields (the B vector and F = ILB where L = length of conductor), you can actually derive the relationship for the force between two parallel straight (long) current carrying conductors. Try it out to get an insight.

Cheers
Vivek.

1. How do you calculate the total force in parallel conductors?

The total force in parallel conductors can be calculated by summing up the forces between each pair of conductors. This can be represented by the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges on the two conductors, and r is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the conductors affect the total force?

The total force between parallel conductors is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. What is the direction of the force between parallel conductors?

The direction of the force between parallel conductors is always attractive. This is because the like charges on the conductors repel each other, but the unlike charges attract, resulting in a net attractive force.

4. Can the force between parallel conductors be repulsive?

No, the force between parallel conductors is always attractive due to the nature of like and unlike charges. If the charges on the conductors were both positive or both negative, the force would be repulsive.

5. How does the charge on the conductors affect the total force?

The total force between parallel conductors is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the conductors. This means that as the charges increase, the force also increases and vice versa.