Contemporary musicians you've probably never heard of

• Music
  • Thread starter jgens
  • Start date
In summary, there are many good modern-day musicians that the general public may not be aware of. Some recommendations include Pinback, a band that is not well-known among friends, and the improvising singer Médéric Collignon. Other suggestions are Avishai Cohen and the Bad Plus, as well as the band Darkest of the Hillside Thickets, known for their "horror punk" style inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. Mary Black, who is not well-known on mainstream radio, is also highly praised for her vocals and band.
jgens
Gold Member
Just as the title suggests, who are some good modern-day musicians that the general public is completely unaware of? I'm tired of hearing the same artists time and time again on the radio and would like to have some diversity to my playlists. So, who are you listening to?

Science news on Phys.org
I really like the band Pinback.

Most of my friends don't know who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you find the beginning difficult, skip to 3'45. The improvising singer Médéric Collignon is really a trumpet player.

I safely consider it unlikely you've heard of those guys. I do not guarantee you'll enjoy.

Also Avishai Cohen

and the bad plus

Last edited by a moderator:
How modern? I do not really know many newer bands, that is bands from after the 90's.

A band that used to be all but unknown is Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. I understand that some of their stuff has made it into Guitar Hero so they are probably better known now. They play what is discribed as "horror punk" inspired, mostly, by H.P. Lovecraft with songs such as "Goin' Down to Dunwich"(not based on "goin down to georgia"), "Innsmouth Look", and "Shoggoths Away".
I'd find you a youtube video but I am on my mobile right now. Maybe I can come up with more when I get home.

What does "Contemporary musicians you've probably never heard of" mean?

"Contemporary musicians you've probably never heard of" refers to lesser-known musicians who are currently active in the music industry and may not have gained mainstream recognition.

Why should I care about these contemporary musicians?

Discovering and supporting new, up-and-coming artists can broaden your musical horizons and introduce you to fresh and unique sounds.

How can I find out about these unknown musicians?

There are various ways to discover contemporary musicians, such as attending local concerts and festivals, browsing music blogs and websites, and following music streaming platforms that promote emerging artists.

Are these musicians any good?

While their level of skill and talent may vary, many contemporary musicians have a dedicated fan base and receive critical acclaim for their music. It ultimately depends on personal taste.

Can I support these musicians in any way?

Yes, you can support these musicians by attending their concerts, purchasing their music and merchandise, sharing their music on social media, and streaming their songs on music platforms. This can help them gain exposure and sustain their careers.