Probability amplitude in Heisenberg e Schrodinger pictures

In summary, the probability for a system to be in a certain state at a certain time can be calculated using the squared modulus of the overlap between the state and the desired state. This holds true in both the Schrödinger and Heisenberg picture, where the time evolution is represented differently. The observable quantities do not depend on the picture of time evolution used.
AdeBlackRune
Hi, this is my question:

suppose that at time t' our system is in the state [tex]| \psi(t')\rangle[/tex]
The probability for the system to be in the state [tex]| \phi\rangle[/tex] at the time t'' is the norm of
[tex]\langle \phi| \psi(t'')\rangle[/tex]
This in the Schrodinger picture. But how i can write the same thing in the Heisenberg picture?

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability is actually the squared modulus of the expression you wrote. It's supposed to be a number independent of description/picture. You need to know how to connect the 2 pictures and then it's easy to get the result.

In the Schrödinger picture, the state ket evolves in time via

[tex] |\psi,t \rangle_S=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) |\psi,0\rangle [/tex] .

Here, I assume that the Hamiltonian of the system is not explicitly time dependent.

The observables like position, momentum, etc. are time-independent by definition. Thus, for any observable operator we have

[tex]\hat{O}_S(t)=\hat{O}(0)[/tex].

Thus, also the eigenvectors are time-independent

[tex]|o,t \rangle_S=|o,0 \rangle.[/tex]

The probability to measure the eigenvalue [tex]o[/tex] is then given by

[tex]P(t,o)=|_S\langle o,t|\psi,t\rangle_S|^2=\langle o,0|\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) |\psi,0 \rangle.[/tex].

In the Heisenberg picture, the states are constant in time:

[tex]|\psi,t \rangle_H=|\psi,0 \rangle [/tex].

The operators representing observables move with the full Hamiltonian,

[tex]\frac{d}{d t} \hat{O}_H(t)=\frac{1}{\mathrm{i}} [\hat{O}_H(t),\hat{H}][/tex].

The solution is

[tex]\hat{O}_H(t)=\exp(\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) \hat{O}(0) \exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t)[/tex],

and thus for the eigenvectors we have

[tex]|o,t \rangle_H=\exp( \mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) |o,0\rangle[/tex].

Thus again, we have

[tex]P(o,t)=|_H\langle o,t|\psi,t \rangle_H|^2=|\langle \exp( \mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) o,0|\psi,0 \rangle|^2 = |\langle o,0|\exp(- \mathrm{i} \hat{H} t)|\psi,0 \rangle|^2[/tex],

which is the same result as in the Schrödinger picture. The observable quantities do not depend on the picture of time evolution used, as it must be.

vanhees pretty much explained it.

You can also interpret it as follows:

The overlap

[tex]
\langle \psi(t)| \phi\rangle \langle \phi| \psi(t)\rangle
[/tex]

is basically what you want, modulus squared. Then

[tex]\hat{A}_S = | \phi\rangle \langle \phi| [/tex]

is a projection operator onto the state [itex]| \phi\rangle [/tex] in the Schroedinger picture. So switching to the Heisenberg picture gives

[tex]\hat{A}_H(t) = e^{iHt} \hat{A}_S e^{-iHt} = e^{iHt} | \phi\rangle \langle \phi|e^{-iHt} [/tex]

But [itex]e^{iHt} | \phi\rangle = |\phi(t)\rangle[/itex] is just the time-evolved version of the state you are projecting on:

[tex]\hat{A}_H(t) = | \phi(t)\rangle \langle \phi(t)|[/itex]

In effect, the time evolution switched from the state to the (projection) operator. The time dependence of the projection operator is hidden in the time-evolution of the state you are projecting on.

To make the probability measurable, one of the two vectors must be some dynamical quantity's eigenvector. As eigenvectors change with time in an opposite way to state vector, the product is identical in both picture.

1. What is the difference between the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures in quantum mechanics?

In the Heisenberg picture, the operators are time-independent while the state vectors are time-dependent. In contrast, the Schrodinger picture has time-independent state vectors and time-dependent operators.

2. How is probability amplitude defined in the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures?

In the Heisenberg picture, the probability amplitude is defined as the inner product between the initial and final states, while in the Schrodinger picture, it is defined as the time evolution of the state vector.

3. What is the significance of probability amplitude in quantum mechanics?

Probability amplitude is a complex number that encodes the probability of a quantum system transitioning from one state to another. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of various outcomes in a quantum system.

4. How do the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures relate to each other?

The Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures are mathematically equivalent and can be transformed into each other using unitary transformations. This means that the physical predictions made in one picture can also be made in the other.

5. Can probability amplitude be negative in the Heisenberg and Schrodinger pictures?

Yes, probability amplitude can be negative in both pictures. This is because the probability amplitude is a complex number and its magnitude squared represents the probability, not the sign. Negative probability amplitude can result in destructive interference, leading to a lower probability of a certain outcome in a quantum system.