Creating a Cobweb Diagram in MATLAB

In summary, a cobweb diagram is a useful graphical representation of a mathematical function that shows the iterative process of a dynamical system. To create one in MATLAB, the function and initial conditions must be defined, and a for loop can be used to plot the points. The appearance of the diagram can be customized using built-in functions. The cobweb diagram can be used to analyze the stability of a system by observing the behavior of the points. However, there are limitations to using it in MATLAB, such as only being applicable to one-dimensional functions and not being suitable for complex systems. The accuracy and precision of the calculations used must also be considered.
AnitaBillie
I am trying to create a cobweb diagram in matlab. However, I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When I enter the function in with its initial value and r value...my diagram comes up with 2 straight lines and not a cobweb. I am stuck.

Attached are the m.files

Attachments

• coblogiplot2.m
    562 bytes · Views: 488
  • logist2.m
    175 bytes · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
I think people will be more willing to help you if you just post the text from both of the program

1. What is a cobweb diagram and why is it useful?

A cobweb diagram is a graphical representation of a mathematical function that shows the iterative process of a dynamical system. It is useful in understanding the behavior and stability of a system over time.

2. How do I create a cobweb diagram in MATLAB?

To create a cobweb diagram in MATLAB, you will need to first define the mathematical function and its initial conditions. Then, using a for loop, you can iteratively plot the points on the diagram. Finally, you can add labels and customize the appearance of the diagram using built-in MATLAB functions.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the cobweb diagram in MATLAB?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the cobweb diagram in MATLAB using various built-in functions such as 'plot', 'xlabel', 'ylabel', and 'title'. You can change the color, style, and thickness of the lines, as well as add labels and titles to make the diagram more visually appealing and informative.

4. How can I use the cobweb diagram to analyze the stability of a system?

The cobweb diagram can provide insights into the stability of a system by showing the behavior of the system over time. If the points on the diagram converge to a single point, the system is stable. If the points diverge or form a cycle, the system is unstable. Additionally, you can vary the initial conditions and observe the behavior of the points to further analyze the stability of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cobweb diagram in MATLAB?

One limitation of using a cobweb diagram in MATLAB is that it can only be used for one-dimensional functions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for highly complex systems with multiple variables and parameters. It is important to also consider the accuracy and precision of the calculations used to generate the diagram, as this can impact the reliability of the results.