Is there a limit to how many derivative rules you can do within another rule?

In summary, the question is about finding the derivative of y = sqrt ( 5x - sqrt ( x^2 + 3 ) ) where there is a square root within another square root. The correct rearranged form is y = ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^1/2 ) ^1/2 and taking the derivative using the power rule and chain rule results in dy/dx = 1/2 ( 5 - 1/2 ( x^2 + 3 )^-1/2 ) x ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^-1/2 ). It is important to continue taking the derivative until there are no more terms to simplify.
omgwtfitsp
Like for this question. y = sqrt ( 5x - sqrt ( x^2 + 3 ) ) - this question is a square root within another square root.

So I rearranged it like this:

y = ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^1/2 ) ^1/2

dy/dx = 1/2 ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^1/2 ) ^ -1/2 x ( 5x - 1/2 ( x^2 + 3 )^ -1/2 )

I got up to there, but now should I continue the line and also multiply by (2x) because that's the derivative of the ( x^2 + 3 )? Or does it just stop where I did? Do you always continue to do the derivative until there is no more?

Physics news on Phys.org
omgwtfitsp said:
Like for this question. y = sqrt ( 5x - sqrt ( x^2 + 3 ) ) - this question is a square root within another square root.

So I rearranged it like this:

y = ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^1/2 ) ^1/2

dy/dx = 1/2 ( 5x - ( x^2 + 3 )^1/2 ) ^ -1/2 x ( 5x - 1/2 ( x^2 + 3 )^ -1/2 )

I got up to there, but now should I continue the line and also multiply by (2x) because that's the derivative of the ( x^2 + 3 )? Or does it just stop where I did? Do you always continue to do the derivative until there is no more?
Of course it continues, because you haven't finished taking the derivative of ( x2 + 3 )1/2.

Also, ( 5x - 1/2 ( x2 + 3 )-1/2 ) should be ( 5 - 1/2 ( x2 + 3 )-1/2 ) . --- The derivative of 5x is 5 .

It's probably not good to use "x" for a multiplication symbol in the same expression in which "x" is used as a variable.

This https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347" has some useful symbols such as: " · " .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a derivative rule?

A derivative rule is a mathematical formula or set of rules that are used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. It is used to find the slope of a curve at a given point, which represents the instant rate of change of the function at that point.

2. How many derivative rules are there?

There are many derivative rules, each of which is used to calculate the derivative of a specific type of function. Some common derivative rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The number of derivative rules is infinite, as there is no limit to the number of functions that can be differentiated.

3. Is there a limit to how many derivative rules can be used within another rule?

No, there is no limit to how many derivative rules can be used within another rule. In fact, it is often necessary to use multiple derivative rules in combination to find the derivative of a complex function.

4. How do I know which derivative rule to use?

The choice of derivative rule depends on the type of function you are trying to differentiate. For example, the power rule is used for functions with variables raised to a power, while the chain rule is used for composite functions. It is important to familiarize yourself with different derivative rules and their applications to determine which one to use.

5. Are there any exceptions to derivative rules?

Yes, there are exceptions to derivative rules. For example, the power rule does not apply to functions with negative exponents, and the quotient rule does not apply when the denominator is zero. It is important to carefully check for any exceptions when using derivative rules to avoid incorrect results.