Decide Between Waterloo/Queens/UBC Physics & Engineering Degrees

In summary: So, in summary, it is better to keep your options open with an Engineering Physics degree, and Queens Engineering Physics may be the better choice for you.
studentnoob
I have until June 1st/2nd to decide my university

I am still torn between engineering and science, though I am leaning towards science (if I had to choose one).

With Waterloo physics, I could use the co-op system as a way to gain some (hopefully paid) research experience and then go on to grad school (I feel like grad school is almost a must if I go the science route).

With Queens Engineering Physics, I can learn more about each eng in 1st year (you declare your eng major in 2nd year). Also, I have the option to pursue physics in grad school, but it isn't a must as I can fall back on the engineering degree if I change my mind about a science career. However, its co-op program is one year-long term, while Waterloo has 4-6 four month terms (Waterloo's would give me more varied experiences in different careers and positions).

As a wildcard, I am also considering UBC science because I can transfer to its Engineering Physics program in my 2nd year. Its co-op system is similar to Waterloo's. Distance from home is a factor preventing me from seriously considering it though.Is anyone familiar with these schools/programs and can anyone give me advice on what to do?
Is it better to keep my options open with an Engineering Physics degree or should I just commit to Physics (what I'm leaning towards) and do well enough to make it into and through grad school?

Help is appreciated, Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hey, I'm kind of thinking the same thing, only with Mcgill physics isntead of waterloo. But, from what I've researched, its easier to transfer from engineering to science (especially from engineering pphysics) than it is from sciences. And from what people tell me, its usually better to get a professional degree (ie engineering) than a non professional. That said, queens co-op is inferior to waterloo's, but you do have oppertunity to find work independantly during the summers (this way the uni doesn't take a % from you either)

Thats pretty much what I concluded.

cvdfer157 said:
But, from what I've researched, its easier to transfer from engineering to science (especially from engineering pphysics) than it is from sciences.

At the undergrad level, and only in the first couple (one?) years.

I started in engineering and after the first year decided to stick with physics. I didn't have to make up any classes because the first year of engineering at my school was the same as first year science, plus four more classes.

If I had done just the first year science, I would have had to make up the engineering classes if I wanted to switch to engineering.

I'd go with Queens Eng. Phys. You're going to take many upper level physics courses (ie. a couple QM courses), you can still go to graduate school in physics if you wish after graduation. You'll be eligible to become a professional engineer. If I were you the only way I'd go with Waterloo physics is if I was dead set on academia (which is probably not a good thing). The waterloo co-op program is really not as good as you think. A lot of their students get employed by the university. For example, when I visited the engineering department the guy who gave me a tour was actually on his co-op term just doing random **** for the department.

I would advise you to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision between these three universities and their programs. Each option has its own strengths and it is important to align them with your personal goals.

If you are interested in gaining research experience and pursuing a career in science, then Waterloo's physics program with its co-op system may be a good fit for you. The opportunity to gain hands-on experience in different research areas can be valuable for your future academic pursuits. However, if you are unsure about committing to a science career, Queens' Engineering Physics program may be a better option as it allows you to explore different engineering fields in your first year and still have the option to pursue physics in grad school.

UBC's option of transferring to its Engineering Physics program after your first year of science may seem appealing, but it is important to consider the potential challenges of transferring and adjusting to a new program. Additionally, the distance from home can also be a factor to consider.

Ultimately, my advice would be to choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals, rather than keeping your options open. If you are passionate about physics and have a strong desire to pursue a career in this field, then committing to a physics degree and doing well in it can set you up for success in grad school and beyond. However, if you are still unsure about your career path, it may be beneficial to choose a program that offers more flexibility, like Queens' Engineering Physics program, where you can explore different options before making a decision.

Whichever program you choose, make sure to fully immerse yourself in the experience and take advantage of all the opportunities available to you. Good luck with your decision!

1. What are the differences between the physics and engineering degrees offered at Waterloo, Queens, and UBC?

The main difference between the physics and engineering degrees offered at these universities is the focus of the programs. Physics degrees typically have a stronger emphasis on theoretical and fundamental concepts, while engineering degrees have a more practical and applied approach. Additionally, each university may have different course requirements and research opportunities for these degrees.

2. Which university has the best reputation for its physics and engineering programs?

All three universities have reputable and highly ranked physics and engineering programs. Waterloo is known for its strong engineering co-op program, Queens for its small class sizes and close-knit community, and UBC for its cutting-edge research facilities. Ultimately, the best university for you will depend on your personal preferences and academic goals.

3. Can I switch between physics and engineering during my degree?

It is possible to switch between physics and engineering degrees at these universities, but it may require additional coursework and could delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before choosing a specific program.

4. Will I have opportunities for hands-on experience and research in both physics and engineering at these universities?

All three universities offer opportunities for hands-on experience and research in both physics and engineering. Waterloo has a strong co-op program, Queens has small class sizes and research opportunities with professors, and UBC has state-of-the-art research facilities and a focus on interdisciplinary projects.

5. What kind of career options are available for graduates of these physics and engineering programs?

Graduates of these programs have a wide range of career options, including working in industries such as technology, energy, aerospace, and healthcare. They may also pursue further education in graduate or professional programs in fields such as physics, engineering, or business. The specific career opportunities will depend on the individual's interests, skills, and experiences.