Throwing a die 7 times: Probability of specific outcomes

• Thread starter binjip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the probability of getting all 6 sides of a die is 5! / 66 = 0.009. The probability of getting all 6 sides of a die and a number twice is 6*6! / 67 = 0.054.
binjip
Throwing a die 7 times

Homework Statement

Throw a die 7 times.

i) What is the probability that you get number 6 twice and all other outcomes once. (e.g. one possible set of outcomes would be 6, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)

ii) What is the probability that you get all the numbers of a die? (e.g. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, x where x is {1, ..., 6})

Homework Equations

P() = # relevant outcomes / # of all possible outcomes

The Attempt at a Solution

i)

There are 67 possible ways of arranging the set of 7 outcomes (# of permutations).

There 6*5*4*3*2*1*1 = 6! ways of arranging the numbers under the given conditions.

P(two 6, and all other outcomes) = 6! / 67 = 5! / 66

ii) # of permutations is 67. No change here.

The # of ways to arrange the numbers under give conditions changes:

6*6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6*6!

P(all 6 numbers of a die) = 6*6! / 67 = 5! / 65

Is this correct? Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

binjip said:
ii) # of permutations is 67. No change here.

The # of ways to arrange the numbers under give conditions changes:

6*6*5*4*3*2*1 = 6*6!

P(all 6 numbers of a die) = 6*6! / 67 = 5! / 65

Is this correct? Would appreciate any comments. Thanks
This is wrong, try calculating the probability of getting all 6 sides with just 6 dice and you would see why. You are missing some dice outcomes.

Hi Klockan3,

ok, suppose I had only 6 turns throwing a die (or as you suggested having only 6 dice).

There would be 6*5*4*3*2*1 possible ways of arranging the numbers so that I have each number exactly once. This is 6!. So the result would be 6! / 6^6.

Now, I argued that I have an additional turn in which I can throw whatever comes up. So the denominator becomes 6^7. The nominator changed to reflect the possibility of getting any number - I multiplied by 6.

Ok, you are saying that I'm missing some dice outcomes. What I can think of is that the possibility of throwing any number extends to each of the 7 turns (or, alternatively, to each of the 7 dice). So I would multiply by 7.

This would change the result to 7*6*6*5*4*3*2*1 / 6^7.

Do you agree?

Think of tossing 7 balls into 6 bins. You want the number of ways of having two balls in bin 6 and one ball in bins 1-5 each. You can do it sequentially: first think of it as bin 6 and not bin 6. How many ways are there of having 2 balls in bin 6 and 5 balls in bins not 6? For each such way we are tossing 5 balls in bins 1-5. How many ways are there of doing that? Altogether, you ought to end up with the *multinomial coefficient* C(7;1,1,1,1,1,2).

RGV

I am sorry I didn't see this earlier, thought that the two sixes in the first statement had to be next to each other for some reason... So it is also wrong.

Ray Vickson said:
Think of tossing 7 balls into 6 bins. You want the number of ways of having two balls in bin 6 and one ball in bins 1-5 each. You can do it sequentially: first think of it as bin 6 and not bin 6. How many ways are there of having 2 balls in bin 6 and 5 balls in bins not 6? For each such way we are tossing 5 balls in bins 1-5. How many ways are there of doing that? Altogether, you ought to end up with the *multinomial coefficient* C(7;1,1,1,1,1,2).

RGV
Thank you Ray, I didn't think of it this way, but it seems much clearer now.

Ok, so I have 7! / (1!*1!*1!*1!*1!*2!) = 7!/2 = 2520 ways of arranging the 7 balls into 6 bins.

There are 6^7 of arranging the balls when there are no conditions.

P({1,...5} comes up once and 6 twice) = (7! / 2) / 6^7 = 0.009.
Now the second problem was the probability that I have 5 numbers once and one number twice. This could be stated as putting 7 balls into 6 bins and adding the multinomial coefficient for each case.

P(2-6 once, 1 twice) + P(1, 3-6 once, 2 twice) + ... + P(1-5 once, 6 twice) = 6 * C(7; 1,1,1,1,1,2) = 6*7!/2 = 15,120

So the final probability is (6*7!/2) / 6^7 = .054Do you agree? Thanks.

Last edited:

binjip said:
Thank you Ray, I didn't think of it this way, but it seems much clearer now.

Ok, so I have 7! / (1!*1!*1!*1!*1!*2!) = 7!/2 = 2520 ways of arranging the 7 balls into 6 bins.

There are 6^7 of arranging the balls when there are no conditions.

P({1,...5} comes up once and 6 twice) = (7! / 2) / 6^7 = 0.009.

Now the second problem was the probability that I have 5 numbers once and one number twice. This could be stated as putting 7 balls into 6 bins and adding the multinomial coefficient for each case.

P(2-6 once, 1 twice) + P(1, 3-6 once, 2 twice) + ... + P(1-5 once, 6 twice) = 6 * C(7; 1,1,1,1,1,2) = 6*7!/2 = 15,120

So the final probability is (6*7!/2) / 6^7 = .054

Do you agree? Thanks.

Ok, I run a simulation and the results are correct. Thanks.

1. What is the probability of getting all 7 rolls as a specific number?

The probability of getting the same number on all 7 rolls of a dice is 1/6 to the power of 7, which is approximately 0.00009 or 0.009%. This is because each roll is an independent event with a 1/6 chance of landing on the specific number.

2. What is the likelihood of getting a total of 7 on the 7 rolls?

The likelihood of getting a total of 7 on the 7 rolls is 1/6. This is because there are 6 combinations that can result in a total of 7 (1+6, 2+5, 3+4, 4+3, 5+2, 6+1) out of a possible 36 combinations (6 possible outcomes for each roll multiplied by 7 rolls).

3. Is it more likely to get an even or odd number on the majority of the 7 rolls?

It is equally likely to get an even or odd number on the majority of the 7 rolls, as each roll has a 50% chance of landing on an even number and a 50% chance of landing on an odd number.

4. Can the same number appear more than once in the 7 rolls?

Yes, it is possible for the same number to appear more than once in the 7 rolls. Each roll is an independent event, so there is no guarantee that the same number won't appear multiple times in the 7 rolls.

5. What is the expected average of all 7 rolls combined?

The expected average of all 7 rolls combined is 3.5. This is because each roll has an equal chance of landing on any number from 1 to 6, and the average of all numbers from 1 to 6 is 3.5.