Proof of Divergence for Series (2n+3)!/(n!)^2 - Limit Test or Comparison Test?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether the series \sum_{1}^{\infty}(2n+3)!/(n!)^2 is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent. The solution is found using the ratio test, which involves expanding and simplifying the expression and then taking the limit. The final conclusion is that the series is divergent.
talk2glenn

Homework Statement

Decide whether the series below is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent:

[tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}(2n+3)!/(n!)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By graphing the equation, I am confident that the series is divergent, but I don't know how to prove it. I cannot do the algebraic manipulation for a ratio test, assuming it is even possible, and none of the other tests seem applicable. Since it's apparently going to be divergent, I can't to a comparison test.

That leaves either a straight limit test, or a limit comparison test. Unfortunately, it looks to me like the limit converges to zero. Factorial is stronger than the power function, but how can I prove factorial squared is weaker than a larger factorial in the numerator?

Physics news on Phys.org
The series diverges by the ratio test. Can you show what you've done using the ratio test?

I can try...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/((n+1)!)^2 * (n!)^2/(2n+3)![/tex]

If we expand and simplify [(n+1)!]^2, we get n!(n+1)n!(n+1)

Cancel the two n! in the numerator and denominator to get...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/[(n+1)^2(2n+3)!][/tex]

I can't further simplify this expression, or pove that it is greater than 1.

Is this the right track?

So far so good.

Hint: [itex](2n+5)! = (2n+5)(2n+4)(2n+3)![/itex]

Yeah I'm dumb...

So canceling the common factorials gives us...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)(2n+4)/(n+1)(n+1)[/tex]

Expand and approximate using leading coefficients to get...

[tex]\approx 4n^2/n^2[/tex]

Which converges to 4/1 > 1 at the limit, so divergent. I think this is correct now.

Thank you so much!

1. What is the proof of divergence for the series (2n+3)!/(n!)^2?

The proof of divergence for this series involves using either the limit test or the comparison test to show that the series does not converge.

2. How do you use the limit test to prove divergence for this series?

The limit test involves finding the limit of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is not equal to 0, then the series diverges.

3. Can the comparison test also be used to prove divergence for this series?

Yes, the comparison test can also be used to prove divergence for this series. This involves comparing the series to another known divergent series and showing that they have similar behavior.

4. What is the importance of proving divergence for a series?

Proving divergence for a series is important because it shows that the sum of the series does not have a finite value. This helps in determining the convergence or divergence of a series and its behavior.

5. Are there any other methods to prove divergence for this series?

Yes, there are other methods such as the ratio test and the root test, which can also be used to prove divergence for this series. However, the limit test and the comparison test are the most commonly used methods.