Every Syzygy is a linear combination of pair-wise Syzygies

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Gröbner bases and their existence and uniqueness. To compute Gröbner bases, understanding syzygies in free modules is necessary. The theorem states that in a ring of multivariate polynomials over a field, if a syzygy S is a linear combination of canonical pair-wise syzygies, it is a syzygy of the monomials m_i. The conversation also mentions difficulty in understanding the proof of this theorem.
Vorstelen
Im working on understanding Gröbner bases. I've understood how to show existence and uniqueness(of reduced Gröbner bases).
To understand how to actually compute them, I need to understand Syzygies in free modules.
The theorem reads thus:
In a ring of multivariate polynomials over a field, if S =(s_1,s_2,s_3...s_n) is a syzygy of (m_1,m_2,m_3...m_n), where every m_i is a monomial, S is a linear combination of the canonical pair-wise Syzygies.

I've been trying to get some headway on this proof for a week now, with little success.
Any comments or hints appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a syzygy?

A syzygy is a mathematical term that refers to the relationship between three or more variables that are related in some way. In the context of linear algebra, a syzygy is a linear combination of equations or vectors that results in a new equation or vector.

2. What does it mean for a syzygy to be a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying each term by a constant and then adding them together. In the context of syzygies, this means that a syzygy is created by taking a linear combination of two or more existing syzygies.

3. How is every syzygy a linear combination of pair-wise syzygies?

This statement means that any syzygy can be formed by taking a linear combination of only two other syzygies at a time. This is possible because the relationship between three or more variables can be broken down into smaller, simpler relationships between pairs of variables.

4. What are the applications of this concept?

The concept of syzygies and linear combinations is important in the field of linear algebra, which has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other sciences. It can be used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and model real-world phenomena.

5. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

There are some cases where a syzygy may not be able to be expressed as a linear combination of pair-wise syzygies, such as when there are more than three variables or when the variables are not related in a linear way. However, for most cases, the concept of every syzygy being a linear combination of pair-wise syzygies holds true.