What is the group of automorphisms of S_3?

• Thread starter T-O7
  • Start date
In summary, the group of automorphisms of S_3 is equal to S_3, and this can be shown by considering the elements of order 2 and proving that Aut(S_3) has at most 6 elements. This is because every relabelling of the numbers 1,2,3 gives an automorphism, and any two automorphisms permute the elements of order 2 in unique ways. Additionally, it can be shown that there is a map from S_3 to Aut(S_3) and this map is an isomorphism except for n=2 and n=6.
T-O7
Okay, so I'm having trouble understanding the following question:
Determine the group of automorphisms of [tex]S_3[/tex].

I understand that the automorphisms must match orders of the same element, and since there are three permutations of order 2 and two of order 3, there are 6 "possible" permutations. But I don't know where to go from here. I'm pretty sure there's a better way than to tediously go through all six possible automorphisms, and explicitly check whether each work or not. Am i missing something here? :confused:
(I mean, how do you know when you've determined the group?)

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need to look at the elements of order two since you know where (123) goes once you know where (12) and (23) go - that is the point of automorphisms - and this doesn't involve much work.

Of course, you could just prove it has no outer automorphisms...

In this case, every permutation of the 3 elements of order two is an automorphism, obviously, and this determines every automorphism, equally clearly, and hence the group Aut(S_3) = S_3.

I was thinking that this may well need more explanation.

Every relabelling of the numbers 1,2,3 gives an automorphism of S_3 (and a relabelling of 1,..,n would give an automorphism of S_n). These correspond to the inner automorphisms - the ones where the group acts by conjugation. If you've done linear algebra it's a lot like a change of basis.

This tells us that there is a copy of S_3 inside Aut(S_3). Now all we need to do is show that Aut(S_3) has at most 6 elements and we are done.

Because S_3 has exactly 3 elements of order 2, and they generate S_3, then any permutation of them *might* be an automorphism, and any two automorphisms permute them in distinct ways, so there are at most 6 possible automorphisms, as we needed to show.

Hence S_3 <= Aut(S_3) <=S_3

so they are equal.

The reason I thought I needed to clarify this was that I suspected it wasn't clear why this didn't show that the Aut(S_n) was something that it wasn't.

It's important that n=3 here, so that all the elements of order 2 are of the same cycle type and generate the group.

In general there is always a map from G to Aut(G) given by [tex] x \to f_x[/tex] where [tex]f_x(y)=x^{-1}yx[/tex] is how the aut f_x acts on G.

Exercises:
1. Show this map from G to Aut(G) is a homomorphism
2. What is the kernel?
3. Hence conclude that when G=S_n it is an injection unless n=2

FACT it is an isomorphism on S_n except for n=2 and n=6.
Proof n=2 is easy since S_2 is abelian. n=6 is too hard for me to recall but essentially seems to be because 2*3=2+3+1. Have a look for a proof somewhere - there are some nice geometric ones available.

1. What is an automorphism of S_3?

An automorphism of S_3 is a function that maps a permutation group S_3 onto itself, preserving the group structure and the identity element.

2. How do you find automorphisms of S_3?

There are a few ways to find automorphisms of S_3. One method is to use the fact that the automorphisms of S_3 are in one-to-one correspondence with the conjugacy classes of S_3. Another method is to use the fact that the automorphisms of S_3 are in one-to-one correspondence with the homomorphisms from S_3 to itself.

3. What is the order of the automorphism group of S_3?

The order of the automorphism group of S_3 is 6. This can be seen by noting that there are 6 elements in S_3 and each automorphism must map each element to another element.

4. Can S_3 have more than one automorphism?

Yes, S_3 can have more than one automorphism. In fact, it has exactly 6 automorphisms, as mentioned in the previous answer.

5. Can you provide an example of an automorphism of S_3?

One example of an automorphism of S_3 is the identity permutation, which maps every element in S_3 to itself. Another example is the automorphism that swaps the first and second elements, leaving the third element unchanged. This automorphism is also known as the transposition (1,2).