Applied Mechanics PhD - Job prospects?

In summary, the conversation discusses a prospective physics undergraduate who is interested in applied mechanics, specifically topics related to fluids, dynamical systems, and biomechanics. They express interest in questions such as "How fish swim?" and "How bubbles go pop?" and inquire about job prospects for graduates with a degree in this field compared to those with a PhD in physics. The conversation also mentions two professors who specialize in research related to these topics and the potential for pursuing a PhD in this area. The US Navy is also mentioned as a promising place for research in this field.
Mépris
Hi,

Prospective physics undergraduate. Interested in topics of applied mechanics - fluids, dynamical systems, biomechanics, etc. "How fish swim?" or "How bubbles go pop?" are questions I find myself interested in. Not saying I don't like fundamental physics, just that I am interested in such applied topics as well.

Are the job prospects, at least currently, for graduates with such a degree similar to those with PhDs in physics or are they slightly better, in that (somewhat directly?) relevant technical positions can be obtained? I understand that this near impossible for physics PhDs and was wondering what the situation may be in this field, which I suppose is just "applied mathematics and physics". While we're at it, are faculty positions more available in this field?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, 'how fish swim' and 'how bubbles go pop' are quite fundamental questions that are typically tackled by PhDs.
Here is a guy that does the 'how bubbles go pop' research:
Professor Detlev Lohse from U-Twente at: http://pof.tnw.utwente.nl/
Here is a guy that does 'how fish swim' research:
Dick Yue from MIT at http://meche.mit.edu/people/index.html?id=102
(he has a famous paper called 'hydrodynamics of fish-like swimming)

If you like such research questions, you will probably feel at home doing a PhD.

If the politicians leave anything standing, the US Navy is a promising place for such research interests.

http://i.minus.com/iTUcddPursjrS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
for your question!

As a scientist with a background in applied mechanics, I can say that there are definitely job prospects for those with a PhD in this field. Applied mechanics is a highly interdisciplinary field, combining principles from physics, mathematics, and engineering to solve real-world problems. This makes it a valuable skill set in many industries, including automotive, aerospace, biotechnology, and more.

In terms of job prospects, they are likely to be similar to those with a PhD in physics, as both degrees demonstrate a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical thinking. However, having a focus on applied mechanics may make you a more competitive candidate for certain positions that require specific technical skills in this area. This could include roles in research and development, design, and product development.

As for faculty positions, there may be more opportunities in applied mechanics compared to physics, as there is a growing demand for experts in this field in academia. Additionally, with the increasing use of technology and the need for efficient and sustainable solutions, the demand for applied mechanics experts is likely to continue to grow.

In conclusion, a PhD in applied mechanics can lead to a variety of job opportunities in various industries, and the demand for experts in this field is expected to continue to grow. I would encourage you to pursue your interests in applied mechanics and continue to explore the many exciting career paths that this field has to offer. Best of luck in your academic and professional journey!

1. What types of job positions can I get with a PhD in Applied Mechanics?

Graduates with a PhD in Applied Mechanics can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing. Some common job positions include research and development engineer, design engineer, project manager, and university professor.

2. What industries are in high demand for individuals with a PhD in Applied Mechanics?

Industries that heavily rely on mechanics and engineering principles, such as aerospace, automotive, and energy, are in high demand for individuals with a PhD in Applied Mechanics. With the increasing use of technology and automation in these industries, the demand for highly skilled engineers is expected to continue to grow.

3. What skills will I gain from a PhD in Applied Mechanics that are valuable in the job market?

A PhD in Applied Mechanics provides individuals with a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems. Additionally, graduates gain hands-on experience with various software and tools used in the industry, making them highly valuable in the job market.

4. Are there opportunities for international employment with a PhD in Applied Mechanics?

Yes, there are many opportunities for international employment with a PhD in Applied Mechanics. Many companies and research institutions have a global presence and are in need of highly skilled engineers to work on international projects. Additionally, having a PhD in a specialized field can make individuals more competitive in the international job market.

5. How much can I expect to earn with a PhD in Applied Mechanics?

The salary for individuals with a PhD in Applied Mechanics varies depending on the industry, job position, and location. However, on average, graduates with a PhD in this field can expect to earn a higher salary than those with just a bachelor's or master's degree. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers with a doctoral degree was $94,500 in 2020.