Cauchy-Euler Equation: Derivatives with Respect to x and t

• Thread starter HAL10000
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy-Euler equation and the different notations used in its derivation. The main point is that the coefficient in the first term of the second order differential equation can be canceled out by substituting dt/dx with 1/x, which is why the book uses this method. The confusion lies in understanding the differentiation notation, but after some clarification, it becomes clear.
HAL10000
Let x=e^t. Then, assuming x>0, we have t=ln(x) and

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex],

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]*([itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex]) - [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/itex]*([itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex])

I don't understand why the derivative with respect to x of [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I might have just explained it to myself... or not...

What you would really get by taking the derivative of [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dtdx}[/itex] but the book wrote [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex] instead... which is really the same thing?

HAL10000 said:
I might have just explained it to myself... or not...

What you would really get by taking the derivative of [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dtdx}[/itex] but the book wrote [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{dt}{dx}[/itex] instead... which is really the same thing?

I'm a bit confused as to why your book would even derive the Cauchy-Euler equation using that method at all.

they use this method because dt/dx is 1/x... this times 1/x allows you to factor out a 1/x^2... which cancels out the coefficient in the first term of the second order D.E. when you substitute it into the original equation... and the same idea works for all terms, cancelling out the coefficients.

HAL10000 said:
they use this method because dt/dx is 1/x... this times 1/x allows you to factor out a 1/x^2... which cancels out the coefficient in the first term of the second order D.E. when you substitute it into the original equation... and the same idea works for all terms, cancelling out the coefficients.

Right, but are you implying that the coefficients are inverse powers (1/x^2, 1/x)? Because there's a much more intuitive derivation if it's just x^2, x, etc..

Yeah, they are x^2 and x, that's why they cancel

I don't like using the math type on these sites, so I just wrote it out and scanned it. Here's the derivation I've used for the Cauchy-Euler equation. Again, not sure this is what you're looking for, but let's see if it helps.

Attachments

• cauchy-euler.jpg
    cauchy-euler.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 393
This one's a little different from my book but it uses the same ideas, I think you meant to write 1/x when substituting for the dx/dt.
Thanks, for some reason I have trouble understanding differentiation notation, that was my only problem. Now it's clear.

HAL10000 said:
This one's a little different from my book but it uses the same ideas, I think you meant to write 1/x when substituting for the dx/dt.
Thanks, for some reason I have trouble understanding differentiation notation, that was my only problem. Now it's clear.

No, you're doing dt/dx, which isn't necessary in the derivation I used.

I think this is what you mean:
t=ln(x)
dt/dx=1/x

But this is what I mean:
x=e^t
dx/dt=e^t=x (by the definition above)

My bad! makes sense now :) thank you

1. What is the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The Cauchy-Euler equation, also known as the Euler-Cauchy equation, is a linear homogeneous differential equation of the form axny(n) + bx(n-1)y(n-1) + ... + kx2y'' + px'y' + qy = 0, where a, b, ..., k are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. What are the applications of the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The Cauchy-Euler equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena, such as vibrations, oscillations, and electric circuits. It is also used in mathematics to solve problems related to differential equations, power series, and special functions.

3. How is the Cauchy-Euler equation different from other differential equations?

The Cauchy-Euler equation is unique in that it contains both the independent variable, x, and its derivatives in the equation. This makes it a special case of linear homogeneous differential equations, and it requires a different method of solution compared to other types of differential equations.

4. What is the general solution of the Cauchy-Euler equation?

The general solution of the Cauchy-Euler equation depends on the roots of the characteristic equation, which is obtained by substituting y = xr into the equation and solving for r. The solution will have different forms depending on whether the roots are real, complex, or repeated.

5. Can the Cauchy-Euler equation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cauchy-Euler equation can be extended to higher dimensions, such as in partial differential equations. In these cases, the independent variables become multi-dimensional and the derivatives involve partial derivatives. The general form of the equation remains the same, but the solutions may be more complicated.