Angular and Linear Velocities to position

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the new position and orientation of an object 0.1 seconds after a given moment in time, using linear and angular velocity data and the previous position and orientation. The equations used include finding the radius of turning, change in theta, and coordinates in x and y using trigonometric functions. There may be uncertainty about the direction of the angular velocity, but a solution can still be found by assuming a direction and using rotational motion equations.
echoone10
Hello everyone. First of all, thank you for any help you can provide.

The essence of the problem is this. I am given the linear and angular velocity of an object at a given moment in time.

Data looks like this:
Time(s): Linear velocity (m/s) Angular velocity(rad/s)
10.313 0.075 0.241

Given the previous position (in x/y cooridnates) and orientation (angle in radians), and this information, I want to calculate the new position and orientation 0.1 seconds later.

Equations I've been using:
radius of turning = linear velocity/angular velocity
change in theta = angular velocity * timestep(0.1 seconds)
x-coordinate = r*cos(theta)
y-coordinate = r*sin(theta)

I realized that we don't really know whether the object will be moving about a circle to its left, or a circle to its right (i.e. is angular velocity clockwise or counter clockwise). I decided to pick one and stick with it, to see how it went.

I'm programming in MATLAB, so here is the code for the function I've written:

Code:
function [newx newy neworient] = newstate(l_vel, ang_vel, tstep, old_orient, old_x, old_y)
        r = (l_vel/ang_vel);
        del_orient = ang_vel * tstep;
        neworient = old_orient + del_orient;

center_x = old_x - r*cos(neworient);
        center_y = old_y - r*sin(neworient);
        newx = center_x + r*cos(del_orient);
        newy = center_y + r*sin(del_orient);
end

I'm beginning to suspect that I don't have enough information to get the proper answer, but I would be happy to be wrong.

Again, thank you all for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I am following your question, you are trying to find the position of the particle in rectangular coordinates after .1 second.

I am assuming the velocity given is the tangential velocity and the particle is moving in a circle. You can easily find the radius of the circle if you know Vt and ω. You need to set up a rectangular coordinate system. Let say the radius lays along the x-axis, so the particle at time t=0 sec is (r,0). Using rotational motion equations you can find the angle of rotation after 0.1 second. Since you know the radius and angle use basis trig to find the coordinates of the new position. It probably be helpful if you draw the problem out.

1. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

2. How do angular and linear velocities relate to position?

Angular and linear velocities are both important in determining an object's position. Angular velocity affects the direction of motion, while linear velocity affects the magnitude of motion. Together, they determine the overall position of the object.

3. Can angular and linear velocities be converted into each other?

Yes, angular and linear velocities can be converted into each other using the formula v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of rotation, and ω is angular velocity. This formula applies for a circular motion.

4. How are angular and linear velocities calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. Linear velocity is calculated by dividing the change in linear displacement by the change in time. Both velocities can also be calculated using derivatives of position with respect to time.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular and linear velocities to position?

Some examples include a spinning top, a rotating wheel, a swinging pendulum, a ball rolling down a slope, and a car turning around a curve. In all of these situations, angular and linear velocities play a role in determining the position of the object.