Finding the electric field of a uniformly charged cylinder using Gauss' law

In summary: I guess the lesson here is to always look for symmetry before jumping into the math. In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss' law to find the electric field at a distance r from a very long cylinder with charge density L/m and radius a. The attempt at a solution involves constructing a gaussian cylinder around the cylinder and using the equation E= Q/Ae, where Q is the charge and A is the area of the side of the cylinder. However, there is some uncertainty about whether all the flux is concentrated through the sides or if there is also some through the top and bottom, but it is concluded that the contribution from the ends is negligible due to the cylinder's length. It is noted that Gauss' law is meant to
Miscing

Homework Statement

A very long cylinder has charge density L/m and radius a. Find the electric field at a distance r, with r > a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I construct a gaussian cylinder around it with radius r, and then from Gauss' law the field at any point on it's side surface is E= Q/Ae, where A is the area of the side of the cylinder, e = vacuum permittivity. So, Q = L*length, A = 2*pi*r. This gets me the right answer in the textbook (L/(2*pi*e)), but there's a sticking point in my approach - this assumes all of the flux is concentrated through the sides, whereas there should also be some through the top and bottom of the cylinder, right? The best explanation I can think of is that because the cylinder is "very long", SA of the sides >>> SA of the top and bottom and so flux through these is negligible. This reasoning is a bit too heuristic for me though and it would be great if someone can give a better/more quantitative explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miscing said:

Homework Statement

A very long cylinder has charge density L/m and radius a. Find the electric field at a distance r, with r > a.

The Attempt at a Solution

I construct a gaussian cylinder around it with radius r, and then from Gauss' law the field at any point on it's side surface is E= Q/Ae, where A is the area of the side of the cylinder, e = vacuum permittivity. So, Q = L*length, A = 2*pi*r. This gets me the right answer in the textbook (L/(2*pi*e)), but there's a sticking point in my approach - this assumes all of the flux is concentrated through the sides, whereas there should also be some through the top and bottom of the cylinder, right? The best explanation I can think of is that because the cylinder is "very long", SA of the sides >>> SA of the top and bottom and so flux through these is negligible. This reasoning is a bit too heuristic for me though and it would be great if someone can give a better/more quantitative explanation.

I think that's why they said a very long cylinder. Have you seen the Gauss law problems with the infinitely long wire of charge, and the infinitely large plates of charge? that's so you don't have to deal with the ends and edges as that would be very difficult using gauss.

If you have used the integrative technique to find the strength of an E-field at some point outside a line of charge of known length, L, then you know it can be a pain. And then how about a round plate of charge with known radius R, that's a bit of a pain and its only a bit of a pain if you want to know the efield strength at some point that lies right along the axis of the center of the plate. It would be an enormous pain if the point was not in line with the axis of the plate. Now combine that with the fact that you would have more charge contributing to the E.field of some cylinder of known L as well... a HUGE math pain. Better to just measure it.

Its Gauss, its supposed to be a short cut for objects with some sort of spherical symmetry usually.

Last edited:
pgardn said:
I think that's why they said a very long cylinder. Have you seen the Gauss law problems with the infinitely long wire of charge, and the infinitely large plates of charge? that's so you don't have to deal with the ends and edges as that would be very difficult using gauss.

If you have used the integrative technique to find the strength of an E-field at some point outside a line of charge of known length, L, then you know it can be a pain. And then how about a round plate of charge with known radius R, that's a bit of a pain and its only a bit of a pain if you want to know the efield strength at some point that lies right along the axis of the center of the plate. It would be an enormous pain if the point was not in line with the axis of the plate. Now combine that with the fact that you would have more charge contributing to the E.field of some cylinder of known L as well... a HUGE math pain. Better to just measure it.

Its Gauss, its supposed to be a short cut for objects with some sort of spherical symmetry usually.

Awesome, thanks. I did try to set up the integral first and it quickly turned into a cluster**** haha

1. How do you use Gauss' law to find the electric field of a uniformly charged cylinder?

To find the electric field of a uniformly charged cylinder using Gauss' law, you first need to choose a Gaussian surface, which is a closed surface that encloses the cylinder. Then, you can calculate the electric flux through this surface by integrating the electric field over the surface. Finally, use Gauss' law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space, to solve for the electric field.

2. What is a uniformly charged cylinder?

A uniformly charged cylinder is a cylindrical object with a constant charge per unit length along its length. This means that the charge is distributed evenly throughout the cylinder and does not vary with position.

3. What is Gauss' law?

Gauss' law is one of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is a powerful tool for calculating electric fields in situations with high symmetry, such as a uniformly charged cylinder.

4. What is a Gaussian surface?

A Gaussian surface is a hypothetical closed surface that is used to apply Gauss' law. It is chosen to have a high degree of symmetry, such as a cylinder or sphere, in order to simplify the calculation of the electric flux through the surface. The choice of Gaussian surface is crucial in using Gauss' law to find the electric field of a uniformly charged cylinder.

5. Can Gauss' law be applied to any shape or configuration of charge?

No, Gauss' law can only be applied to situations with high symmetry. This means that the charge distribution must be uniform and the electric field must be constant in magnitude and direction over the chosen Gaussian surface. If these conditions are not met, then Gauss' law cannot be used to find the electric field of a uniformly charged cylinder.