About Blocks, torques and wedges

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating torque and accounting for frictional forces. The individual is struggling with understanding how to combine Newton's second law for torque and regular Fnet=m*a. They have attempted to draw a free body diagram and sum up forces, but are unsure about how to account for the torque created by the wheel. They have also looked at a similar problem for guidance but are still struggling. They are wondering if there is an easier way to solve the problem without using free body diagrams.
willworkforfood
Problem picture below:

http://portfolio.iu.edu/whoblitz/problem2.PNG

I know Newton's second law for torque torquenet=I*alpha and regular old Fnet=m*a, but I don't see how they fit together here (how I can account for frictional forces and torque at the same time). Help appreciated, thanks :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a free body diagram and summed up all the forces in each direction?

My problem with that is I don't know what to put for the force of the torque(s
? one or two) created by the wheel.

Still not working out to even close to the right answer here and drawing a free body diagram isn't helping the situation as it is just confusing me more with force components, et. al.

Still isn't helping, I keep drawing the free body diagrams and getting wrong and different answers. After solving for the torque forces (tensions) in that example, does it make a difference that the second torque is at an angle on an incline?

What would the equation for the net torque even look like in this problem? Is there some easier way to do this than ugly free body diagrams?

1. What is a block?

A block is a three-dimensional object with six rectangular faces. It can be made of various materials such as wood, metal, or plastic, and is commonly used in physics experiments to study forces and motion.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does a wedge work?

A wedge is a simple machine that consists of two inclined planes placed back to back. When force is applied to the wedge, it creates a mechanical advantage by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. This is due to the longer distance over which the force is applied, making it easier to overcome resistance.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are not in motion. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the movement of two surfaces that are already in motion.

5. How are blocks, torques, and wedges related?

Blocks, torques, and wedges are all concepts that are related to the study of forces and motion in physics. Blocks can be used to demonstrate the principles of static and kinetic friction, while torques and wedges are both examples of simple machines that can be used to increase mechanical advantage and make work easier.