Interfacing a PC to a UV spectrophotometer

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Uv
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of interfacing an old PC to an old spectrophotometer in place of a non-functioning dot-matrix printer. The device communicates via RS-232 and requires specific codes to be sent in order to perform tasks such as printing graphs. Access to the original documentation is necessary in order to properly communicate with the device. Setting the basic parameters the same for both machines is important in order for the communication to be successful. Trial and error may be necessary in the absence of documentation.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello,

We have an old spectrophotometer which contains an outlet saying "printer/computer", and until now a dot-matrix printer has been attached to it. However, the printer is no longer functional, and I am thinking of interfacing an old PC to the spectrometer.

The printer was attached via serial connection (COM2), by a RS-232 cable of 9-pin "female" and 25-pin "male". I can use the same cable for interfacing, but how can I detect signals? Thing is, when the spectrometer finishes its task, we can push a button like "print graph" and the graph is sent to the printer. Can the same thing be done to a computer, but just taking the necessary values to draw a chart in Microsoft Excel, for example?

Thank you for your interest.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It is very likely that there is a 2 way communication code. If you send the correct signal to the device you can make it do things. You need to know what the parameters for the rs232 communication is, but more important you need to know what codes to send to the device. This will only be possible if you have access to the original documentation for the device.

If you do not have it, then maybe you can find something on the manufacturers web site.

Thank you, I guess the code includes one "stop bit", one or two "init code", etc. If so, I have a documentation of the old printer mentioning these. Is it possible to use the same settings for the computer?

That is the fun of RS232 communications, you need to set the basic parameters the same for both machines. As long as you can set both it is easy. If you have guess at settings on one machine it can be more fun. Documentation is essential. I can be done by trial and error, just be patient and keep trying. The commands that the device needs and how read the return messages is some thing else again.

1. How do I connect my PC to a UV spectrophotometer?

To interface a PC to a UV spectrophotometer, you will need a USB cable that is compatible with both your PC and the spectrophotometer. Once you have the cable, simply connect one end to the USB port on your PC and the other end to the appropriate port on the spectrophotometer.

2. What software is needed for interfacing a PC to a UV spectrophotometer?

Most UV spectrophotometers come with their own software that is specifically designed for interfacing with a PC. However, if your spectrophotometer does not come with software, you can use generic data acquisition software that is compatible with your device.

3. Can I control the spectrophotometer directly from my PC?

Yes, once you have successfully interfaced your PC to the spectrophotometer, you can control it directly from your computer. This allows for more precise and convenient measurements, as well as the ability to save and analyze data directly on your PC.

4. Do I need any special drivers for interfacing a PC to a UV spectrophotometer?

Most modern PCs and UV spectrophotometers do not require any special drivers for interfacing. However, it is always recommended to check the manufacturer's website for any specific driver requirements or updates.

5. How do I troubleshoot any connectivity issues between my PC and the spectrophotometer?

If you are experiencing connectivity issues, the first step is to ensure that all cables are properly connected and that your PC and spectrophotometer are both powered on. If the issue persists, you may need to check the settings on both devices and make sure they are compatible. If all else fails, consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.