So, I got my Diff. Eq. books today.

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary: The explanations were pretty clear, but I found myself referring back to the solutions a few times.In summary, the book is good for someone who is already familiar with programming and wants to learn more about ODE, but it might be a little too dense for someone who is just starting out.
Shackleford
I got the textbook, solutions manual, and a book called ODE using Matlab. I've never used Matlab before. Will that be an issue?

Here's the textbook. Is this a good book?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131437380/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that a little late to ask? Personally I think it is too verbose, but the explanations are pretty clear in general. Not that hard.

Landau said:
Isn't that a little late to ask? Personally I think it is too verbose, but the explanations are pretty clear in general. Not that hard.

Why would it be too late? This the only DE class offered this semester and I have to take it this semester to graduate on my timetable. I'm just wondering if it's a good book or not. That's all.

What about Matlab? Will I have any problem with that?

Shackleford said:
What about Matlab? Will I have any problem with that?

If you have ever done any programming before (especially structured programming), you should be fine.

If you have not, you should still be fine; you just might have to spend some extra time learning the basics of coding.

vociferous said:
If you have ever done any programming before (especially structured programming), you should be fine.

If you have not, you should still be fine; you just might have to spend some extra time learning the basics of coding.

I know a little bit of HTML. lol. But that's coding not programming.

Shackleford said:
I know a little bit of HTML. lol. But that's coding not programming.

I would not worry too much about it. Since it is a math class, they are probably not going to get too deep into programming using Matlab, just teach you the basics.

vociferous said:
I would not worry too much about it. Since it is a math class, they are probably not going to get too deep into programming using Matlab, just teach you the basics.

i used Maple before. I am pretty good

I'm not for sure about the book, but MATLAB is an extremely easy language to learn. It is probably a little easier to learn than C, and it is definitely easier to plot and do other things in MATLAB rather than in C. The programming assignments probably won't be anything too significant, so you will definitely be able to handle programming in MATLAB.
Landau said:
Isn't that a little late to ask?

I think you jumped the gun a little bit, as Shackleford explained. It was pretty clear that the book was for a course.

Shackleford said:
Why would it be too late? This the only DE class offered this semester and I have to take it this semester to graduate on my timetable. I'm just wondering if it's a good book or not. That's all.
n!kofeyn said:
I think you jumped the gun a little bit, as Shackleford explained. It was pretty clear that the book was for a course.
I thought it was a bit odd to ask whether a book is good if you already own it, because you can look for yourself, and because you'll have to use it anyway. But I understand it can be interesting to hear other opinions.

I used this book to supplement my lecture notes, which were very theoretical and dense. That's why the verboseness wasn't really a problem for me, but to use it as the main text...I don't know.

What are differential equations used for?

Differential equations are used to mathematically model and describe how a system changes over time. They are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology, to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

Why is studying differential equations important?

Studying differential equations is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing real-world phenomena. It allows scientists to create mathematical models that can be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields of study.

What are the types of differential equations?

There are two main types of differential equations: ordinary and partial. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. These equations can also be classified as linear or nonlinear, depending on the relationship between the variables.

How do I solve a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation involves finding the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques to find an exact solution, or numerically, using computers to approximate a solution. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many practical applications, such as predicting the growth of populations, analyzing the flow of fluids, and modeling the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, chemistry, and epidemiology to understand and solve various problems and phenomena.