How can I avoid constantly logging in to the new PF Mobile version?

• Thread starter Molydood
  • Start date
In summary, the new mobile version of PF is easier to read but less user friendly. It loads slowly and requires zooming in and scrolling everywhere. There is no way to view the non-mobile version on the phone.
Hmm, just noticed the lack of scrolling typing that post.

Physics news on Phys.org
complaints:

1) I get a security error when I try to make a chess move on my iphone
2) I can't exit the iphone version to go to normal browser view (i.e. "Normal Version" button doesn't seem to work)

Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.

Saladsamurai said:
Yeah. I'll be honest, I am kind of surprised that the "My PF" screen is not an option. The only reason i log in from a mobile is to check up on my 'subscribed threads.'

that's why I wish 'Normal View' worked.
A workaround would be to bookmark the My PF link. Or remember that typing "/usercp.php" after www.physicsforums.com will get you there.

Redbelly98 said:
A workaround would be to bookmark the My PF link. Or remember that typing "/usercp.php" after www.physicsforums.com will get you there.

I bookmarked "www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php" and it worked great! Thanks RB!

I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.

A couple of suggestions: could you add a report button, and also the date of each post as well as the time?

Why not just use Opera and open the original PF page?

I'm just here to complain that the "normal version" button at the bottom is a cruel joke. It simply refreshed the page and keeps the mobile version.

I'm using an iPhone for what it's worth.

I really hate that we can't select a page to jump to on multi-page threads. I have to click through one by one to get to the most recent post.

ranger said:
I wanted to edit a post I made from my computer using my iphone. I found that for long posts, I am unable to scroll through the entire post, which makes editing text towards the bottom impossible. There is no scroll bar to navigate the length of the post.

If you tap inside the text box to get the blinking cursor and then press and hold (like when you select text, copy / paste etc.) and then drag and hold to the bottom / top of the screen, you can scroll inside the text entry form. If you want to get at the very bottom of the text box, you sometimes need to type a character to get the browser to scroll there.

I love my iPhone and have gotten used to the virtual keyboard, but it can be a PITA every once in a while (like on this forum).

And my pet peeve about PFmobile: I can only see the time when a post was posted. But there's no date!

how far is the mobile version of PF currently?

I still cannot view the normal version of PF off of the iPhone. When I click the link, the page just reloads as is.

Just a note to Greg Bernhardt, when I entered this thread from a normal PC I got an ID and password prompt, and with cancel it still let me in. I assumed it should since I see many folks here who are general members and not Mentor's or Test people.

Just thought I would mention it.

Rhody... :wink:

Love the mobile version on my iPod touch!

I hate to necro, but I still have one issue with PF Mobile and I don't want to start a new thread... polls. I can't vote in them, I can't see them, I can't even see if a thread contains one. If you could add this function, it would be great. Other than that, PF Mobile is great! (iPod Touch)

Saladsamurai said:
I bookmarked "www.physicsforums.com/usercp.php" and it worked great! Thanks RB!

I'm not able to get this to work, should it still?

Greg Bernhardt said:
yes, there is a link at the bottom that says "use normal view"

That button does absolutely nothing. I reported that problem around a year ago, and it still does nothing.

I'd tell you exactly when I reported it, but the mobile view DOESN'T SHOW DATES OF POSTS, so I can't tell you.

It's wonderful to see that somebody made a post at 11:29am, but my response will be quite different if it was made on October 30th, 2010 versus April 23rd, 2005.

With the prevalence of necroposting on this board, it's important to see the dates. And then you make it impossible to switch to the regular view which does show the dates.

Plus, it costs me more of my data plan to scroll through pages of posts one by one versus just clicking on the one I want to go to.

For all if these reasons, I hate the mobile view, and I don't like being taunted by the "normal version" at the bottom which simply refreshes the page in mobile view.

This is old so I'm just going from basics here. Some mobiles automatically switch to available mobile views.

The button at the bottom *may* just be altering the URL to the normal PF one and not the mobile one you are currently on. If the phone automatically goes to the mobile version it will see you trying to access PF via the normal address and switch to the mobile version (something of a nasty loop). However, this is an issue with the phone not the system. I can turn off mobile view on my phone so the mobile doesn't attempt to use mobile versions of pages. If I view the mobile version of the site, and then disable mobile view in settings and then hit the "view normal version" at the bottomn, it displays the normal version of the page.

I hope you can understand what I've said there. I think most phones give you the choice of either disabling mobile view or entering the non-mobile url. It sounds like you have a setting which automatically uses mobile versions. Check if you can disable this, if not, then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to remedy the problem. Based on it working for me, it isn't an issue with the mobile version of PF.

Every other website that has the option of "use normal view" works just fine on my phone. Wikipedia, NFL.com, and various news sites all allow me to disable the mobile view, so don't tell me it's a problem with my phone.

This is also a problem on the iPad, where the regular version of the site would be much more preferable to use. There's really no lack of screen real estate on that device.

On a side note, I turned on the developer console for Safari on the iPhone, and it reported 50 HTML errors when I loaded the site. These are things like mismatched tags, which should be fixed.

I'm seeing the homework help forums on an iPad.
In a thread listing I can't see which ones are waiting for a first response.
Or which ones I have posted in.

I think the iPad is large enough for the regular display but cannot find a way to turn off the mobile view. The "normal" button does not do anything.

I may disable the mobile pf skin in the near future. It appears new smart phones can handle the full skin just fine.

Yeah, please do.

Also the mobile version doesn't provide full access to user-cp and has some problems while using latex.

I am using the xperia x10 if it matters.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I may disable the mobile pf skin in the near future. It appears new smart phones can handle the full skin just fine.

As Wikipedia would do...

Support

Also, can you try to fix or provide the option for miltiquote on the mobile version.

Multi quote works for me (HTC Desire).

My phone works fine on the mobile version (as I said before) but I wouldn't want to have the standard page on my phone, although it works it adds a lot of work to navigate the site (I have to zoom in and out a lot etc).

So you have an andriod also... I wonder why I don't have the option on mine.

Are you running Gingerbread ?

What browser are you using ?

Perhaps, it is time to switch over to firefox ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
So you have an andriod also... I wonder why I don't have the option on mine.

Are you running Gingerbread ?

What browser are you using ?

Perhaps, it is time to switch over to firefox ?

Don't know what gingerbread is.

EDIT: No, I have 2.2. Wasn't aware 2.3 was out yet and I don't get it until T-Mobile release it. Which took 3 months after 2.2 was officially released.

The default browser with the phone.

Firefox? Why don't you stick with the default browser? It works perfectly well with everything I've done.

What option by the way? I can switch between mobile and normal page views if that's what you mean. I prefer mobile when using the phone.

I am using 2.1 and my phone doesn't let me Multi-quote. Or more correctly, I can't see the option.

Also the normal version button at the bottom of my screen does nothing when I touch it.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I am using 2.1 and my phone doesn't let me Multi-quote. Or more correctly, I can see the option.

Also the normal version button at the bottom of my screen does nothing when I touch it.

EDIT: Can't multi-quote. Are you using the default browser like me?

Last edited:
Yes, I am.

All I see is quote and reply. :-\
Also edit, if it is my own post.
Do you have full access to your user-cp ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
All i see is quote and reply. :-\
Also edit if it is my own post. Do you have full access to your user-cp ?

Sorry, multi quote isn't there. Just looked now, I must have been using the normal view for it.

What do you mean full access? I don't have the same options as on the normal page view, but then a lot of sites don't offer full access through mobile versions.

Okay. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Maybe there is something wrong with my browser I don't know why the normal view doesn't work for me.

<h2>1. How can I save my login information on the new PF Mobile version?</h2><p>To save your login information on the new PF Mobile version, you can enable the "Remember Me" option when logging in. This will store your login credentials and allow you to access the app without having to constantly log in.</p><h2>2. Is there a way to stay logged in on the new PF Mobile version?</h2><p>Yes, you can stay logged in on the new PF Mobile version by selecting the "Stay Logged In" option when logging in. This will keep you logged in even when you close the app or switch to another app.</p><h2>3. Can I use biometric authentication to avoid constantly logging in on the new PF Mobile version?</h2><p>Yes, you can use biometric authentication such as fingerprint or face recognition to avoid constantly logging in on the new PF Mobile version. This option is available in the app's settings and will allow you to log in with just a touch or a glance.</p><h2>4. How can I change my login settings on the new PF Mobile version?</h2><p>To change your login settings on the new PF Mobile version, you can go to the app's settings and select the "Login Settings" option. From there, you can enable or disable options such as "Remember Me" and "Stay Logged In".</p><h2>5. What should I do if I am still being logged out frequently on the new PF Mobile version?</h2><p>If you are still being logged out frequently on the new PF Mobile version, you can try clearing the app's cache and data. You can also make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed and that your device's operating system is up to date. If the issue persists, you can contact the app's support team for further assistance.</p>

1. How can I save my login information on the new PF Mobile version?

To save your login information on the new PF Mobile version, you can enable the "Remember Me" option when logging in. This will store your login credentials and allow you to access the app without having to constantly log in.

2. Is there a way to stay logged in on the new PF Mobile version?

Yes, you can stay logged in on the new PF Mobile version by selecting the "Stay Logged In" option when logging in. This will keep you logged in even when you close the app or switch to another app.

3. Can I use biometric authentication to avoid constantly logging in on the new PF Mobile version?

Yes, you can use biometric authentication such as fingerprint or face recognition to avoid constantly logging in on the new PF Mobile version. This option is available in the app's settings and will allow you to log in with just a touch or a glance.

4. How can I change my login settings on the new PF Mobile version?

To change your login settings on the new PF Mobile version, you can go to the app's settings and select the "Login Settings" option. From there, you can enable or disable options such as "Remember Me" and "Stay Logged In".

5. What should I do if I am still being logged out frequently on the new PF Mobile version?

If you are still being logged out frequently on the new PF Mobile version, you can try clearing the app's cache and data. You can also make sure that you have the latest version of the app installed and that your device's operating system is up to date. If the issue persists, you can contact the app's support team for further assistance.