Solving a Recurrence Relation with Multiple Roots

In summary, the given recurrence relation an = 5an−1 − 3an−2 − 9an−3 for n ≥ 3 with initial values a0 = 0, a1 = 11, and a2 = 34 can be solved by finding the characteristic equation and its roots. The roots -1 and 3, with multiplicity 2, are found to be valid. The solution involves setting up a system of equations using the given initial values and solving for the constants r, s, and t in the expression an = r3n + sn3n - t. Further analysis and manipulation may be needed to determine the final solution.
silvermane
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve the recurrence relation
an = 5an−1 − 3an−2 − 9an−3 for n ≥ 3
with initial values a0 = 0, a1 = 11, and a2 = 34.

Homework Equations

its given lol

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the characteristic equation for this rr is x3 - 5x2 + 3x + 9 and found that the characteristic roots are 3, 3, -1...because we have 2 indistinct roots, I multiplied one of the 3 terms by n to get

an = r3n + sn3n - t
and so plugging back into the give rr we have

r3n + sn3n - t = 5(r3n-1 + s(n-1)3n-1 - t) - 3(r3n-2 + s(n-2)3n-2 - t) - 9(r3n-3 + s(n-3)3n-3 - t)

I'm thinking that in order to solve this, we're going to have to set this up as a system of equations, but I'm not sure how to do that with what I have. Any hints/tips/ suggestions on where to go next would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
an = r3n + sn3n - t

Given this, then r,s and t must be equal to what for you to have a0 = 0, a1 = 11, and a2 = 34? This above expression must be valid for all n, after all, not only for [itex]n\geq 3[/itex].

By the way, you claim that one of your roots is -1; are you sure that the above is entirely correct?

JSuarez said:
By the way, you claim that one of your roots is -1; are you sure that the above is entirely correct?

To see if a root exists, we would plug it into the characteristic equation. When -1 is plugged into the equation, we obtain 0, therefore it is a root of the equation. Corollary, I saw that 3 was a root in same fashion, and found that it was a root of multiplicity 2 when I plugged it into the derivative. This was how we were showed to find the roots.

I don't have any doubt that -1 is a root: it is. But, if 3 is a root (forget the multiplicity for a moment) and it gives rise to a term 3n in the solution, then what would be the term corresponding to -1?

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that describes how a sequence of numbers or functions is defined in terms of its previous terms. It is a way to recursively define a sequence or function.

2. Why is solving a recurrence relation important?

Solving a recurrence relation allows us to find an explicit formula for a sequence or function, which can be useful in analyzing its behavior and making predictions. It is also essential in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as algorithm analysis and combinatorics.

3. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

There are various methods for solving a recurrence relation, depending on the type of relation. One common approach is to use substitution and iteration to find a closed form solution. Another method is to use generating functions or characteristic equations to find a closed form expression.

4. Can all recurrence relations be solved?

No, not all recurrence relations can be solved. Some can only be approximated, while others may have no closed form solution. Additionally, the method for solving a recurrence relation can depend on the type of relation, so some may be more difficult to solve than others.

5. How is solving a recurrence relation related to solving recurrence algorithms?

Recurrence algorithms are algorithms that use recurrence relations to compute a sequence of values. Solving a recurrence relation allows us to find an explicit formula for the sequence, which can then be used in the algorithm to calculate values efficiently. In this way, solving a recurrence relation is essential in analyzing and optimizing recurrence algorithms.