Who I can find the displacement in this Q ?

In summary, a jetliner with a speed of 90 m/s lands on a runway and runs for 2 seconds before applying brakes with a deceleration of 20 m/s2. The displacement on the runway can be found by calculating the sum of the two displacements, with the first displacement being 180 m and the second displacement being 202.5 m. This results in a total displacement of 382.5 m.
r-soy
Hi all

who I can find the displacement in this Q ?

A jetliner lands with a speed of 90 m/s on runway . It runs with constant speed for 2 s , before the brakes are applied . The brakes produce a deceleration of 20 m/s2 . What is its displacement on the runway .

I try to solve

V0 = 90 m/s

t1 = 2s

x = V0 X t1 = 180 m

a = -20 m/s2

then I don't know who I complte it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi r-soy! :smile:

(btw, it's how (rhyming with now and Mao) not who (rhyming with new and you) :wink:)
r-soy said:
A jetliner lands with a speed of 90 m/s on runway . It runs with constant speed for 2 s , before the brakes are applied . The brakes produce a deceleration of 20 m/s2 . What is its displacement on the runway .

This is how

The total displacement is the sum of the two displacements.

Your first displacement is ok.

For the second displacement, use one of the standard constant acceleration equations, with distance = s, acceleration = a = -20, u = 90, and v = 0. :wink:

see

Here I must find two displacement .
firist one I got it
now the secound now

I have Dx1 = 180 and a = -20, u = 90, and

by equat5ion constant I use v^2 = v0^2 = 2aDx
fainal velocity is 0 beacuse it will stop after using brake
now :
0 = 90^2 + 2(-20) Dx2
Dx2 = 202.5

Now collect two dispkacement : will get : 362.5 m

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, that's fine :smile:

(except 180 + 202.5 = 382.5 :wink:)

Hmm not sure what you guys are talking about..but il get it later.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement refers to the distance and direction between an object's initial position and its final position.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting an object's initial position from its final position. This can be represented as Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Distance refers to the total length traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's initial and final positions.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if an object's final position is less than its initial position, indicating that it has moved in the opposite direction from its initial position.

5. What are some common units for displacement?

The most common units for displacement are meters (m) and kilometers (km). However, other units such as centimeters (cm) or miles (mi) can also be used.